Can a Lift Kit Effect Brakes?

TANelson

Need advice/direction please. I bought a 1992 EZGO Marathon and I recently put on a 4" lift kit. A few days after that my brakes have been super touchy. Almost putting us through the windshield the first time it happened, and the tires even screeched on the pavement. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or if the lift has some how effected my brakes. I can't decide if the cables are old and sticking, or did it have something to do with the lift kit? Anyone have an idea? I want to upgrade the wheels/tires from the standard 8", but I haven't been able to do that yet. Perhaps that's an issue?

classycarts

Cartaholic
It's electric Marathon.

Not sure how to type this to make sense but here it goes.

As JRay pointed out. Are the cable housings stretched/tight??

A possible cause could be now that you added 4" of leverage and have tight cable housings. Is that when you apply the brake, the leaf spring is flexing, allowing the axle/spring to twist, pulling on the cable housing and adding more brake pressure than what your applying with the pedal. Thus locking up the brakes.

You might be able to see what I'm talking about by setting the park brake and try rocking the cart back and forth.

whiteGIANT510

My axle broke off the subframe a month or so ago and I was over 2 miles away from home and when I tried to push it forward, the rear end rotated and the brake cables stretched and activated the brakes so I had to push it home backwards.