EZGO Golf Cart Starting Issues

Whymee

Gentleman. Good day. New user here. Take it easy on me, eh?

2001 EZGO 4 stroke golf cart (D301 1360781) with starting issues.

I bought this cart used, after awhile it developed starting issues. To start the butterfly would have to be just barely open. It got worse and worse. After I got it started it would run fine. Got to the point it would not start. SO I rolled it away & fired up one of my other 5 carts.

Fast forward after 2 years sitting and I decided to fix this thing or stick a big motor in it. This is what I have done... Today!

New battery
new Carb
New plugs

What I have checked...

Compression 160ish
adjusted valves (.004)
took fuel filter out of the loop - testing purposes yanno...
Checked flow out of the fuel pump - OK
Plugs have spark

I did get it started several times on Jack Stands today. I put the airbox back on and can't even get it started on ether. Seems like it is flooding out (plugs wet, just like old carb) This darn cart is driving me batty!

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Where did you buy the carburetor? Some of the cheap replacement carburetors can be nothing but trouble. Nubs should be able to help you out when he sees your post.
Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

Whymee

Ok you caught me...!!!

I did use a cheap new carb. I also just put on (today) the same cheap carb on another cart & it runs fine ( I had 2 carts down). Maybe I should swap them out...

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It wouldn't hurt to try swapping carburetors to see if anything changes. Make sure you put the fuel filter back on first. You might want to use the spark plugs from the running cart to.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
My first guess would be water and or ethanol in the bottom of the tank, settles in the bottom of the bowl also. soon as it pulls the bad fuel up and mixes with the good then it will run, takes hours for water to separate and settle again:twocents::hattip:

Whymee

I will flush the tank and carb. Prolly should have done that already, but I did not.

Although...

In theory, even with bad gas, wouldn't the motor run temporarily with a shot of ether?

I have decided to check my timing. I need to pull the clutch to get the cover off. (if the new gas does not work) Is this the puller I need?

I seen some cheaper pullers but they said no no for TXT, although they looked the same to me.

Thanks gents!

Whymee

Looks like I cannot edit my posts on this forum.

Anyhoo, took carb off, drained fuel, replaced carb. No fuel line hooked up. new plugs. It should fire on ether. It does not. I guess next is timing.

Agreed?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Well ya need to keep checking so checking valve timing would be worth looking at, i have seen the lower drive sprocket for the cam hammer out the keyway. also seen the top sprocket shear the locating pin and move. the puller you posted will do the job.

Whymee

Well, the valve timing looks good. I figured it was, I just had to be sure.

What the heck is left? Ignition timing?

Anyone have a tutorial for that? (I have not found one yet)

Any other ideas? Believe me I am all ears!! LOL

country

I'm not 100% on that engine but it should be a magnito fired coil unless you break a keyway on the fly wheel then it should always fire in time nubs or hot rod may have more info

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
The ignition timing is not adjustable. could the key be sheared for the flywheel, maybe but i doubt it. I have had a lot of these engines apart and have seen odd things over the years. Now i have seen the locating pin shear on the top cam pulley, the cam timing will be spot on but the cam is not.
Just throwin' stuff out there

Whymee

Thanks for the replies.

I did checkk the locating pin shear on the pulleys. They looked good to me. Not sheared at all.

SO I have the motor "on the bottle". Rec fuel, 90 octane. Plugs get wet. Nice blue spark. Motor does not run. not even a hint of trying to fire, even with starting fluid. Rechecked compression, 180lbs both cylinders. The darn thing ought to at least cough on ether!

IMG_3330.JPG

I have spent alot of time with various motors in my life, but this one has me beat (as of this writing). I do have other carts to pull electrical components off of and try, but since I have such a nice spark I do not know if that would be a waste of time. I am thinking yes at this point.

Unless the brain trust can think of something else I believe this motor has me beat.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I would pull the muffler loose at the manifold and try it before you give up on it, I have seen mufflers plug.

ezgopluggedmuffler2.jpg

ezgopluggedmuffler1.jpg

Whymee

SO I go back out to the garage.... I hate to admit defeat, but I was ready to in this case.

Change plugs, no fire.
Unplug various electrical connections, which I have done several times, and she comes to life.

Now why it has decided to run is beyond me, although I was holding my left nut when I was cranking this time (jesting)!

Have no idea why why lit off. Kinda puzzling when something fixes its self, yanno.

Took it off the bottle and plumbed in the stock pump & lines. Fed it 2 year old gas and it still fires & runs. Amazing.

So for now this case is closed. Although if I had to look in my crystal ball, I will be back here moaning about how come my cart will not run. I hope not though!!

I want to thank you Nubs for taking the time to help a feller out. And a shout out to HotRodCarts and country for posting up suggestions.

This truly is a cool place!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Glad to hear you got it to start. Nothing worse than one of those problems that mysteriously fix themselves. Maybe you need one of these starter buttons @dirtysouth posted the other day. :D:hattip:
a9bc448e-0cb7-4580-94af-0720da9c220c-jpeg.2966