Upgrading Brakes on a Club Car

Joepiccaso

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
While I'm in here about my wheel studs, I would like to put something else out for comments on upgrading the brakes. I have a 1994 Club Car Electric 6-seat Trans-Sender. I added two batteries in going to a 48V system with a high torque motor. My neighborhood is quite hilly, those the high torque motor. But being a 6-seater, another problem arose . . . Stopping. With a full cart of children and adults, I found stopping at the bottom of some hills was close to impossible. It has Rear Brakes Only, no regen not lifted 8" rims. My thought is to put Front Disk Brakes on it. I've seen the kits, though I'm not clear which to get. One place suggested doing Rear Disk first since I gathered it was easier to do. But, they only estimated a +20 additional braking. I'm not sure 20% is worth the amount of money, while it surely helps, but it would appear front disk would be a better value. Any thought or recommendations? Much Thanks!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've never tried any of the rear disc brake kits but I've seen others here that have and were happy with them. Jake's also has front disc brake kits that work on golf carts without a lift but I'm not sure if the make anything that will fit a Club Car Transsender.

Joepiccaso

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Thanks, Rod. I contacted Jake's, but haven't gotten a response. I contacted All Sports Mfg. They have a Rear Disk Brake Kit, but I didn't see a Front brake kit. I did email them to see what they have. I'll let Cartaholics know what I find out.

Joepiccaso

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
HotRod, I spoke with Steven at All Sports Mfg. He gave me some good info and insight. I'm not sure I should write what he said in a public forum, so I'll just say I may take a different route now. Thanks for the reference.

Joepiccaso

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
HotRod, Steve was correct. I just needed to adjust my brakes more. I didn't realize my cart does not have the automatic adjusters and that due to the mechanics of the cable actuation that my pedal could bottom out before I got full braking. I guess it's similar to having an air bubble in a hydraulic brake system and not getting full pedal pressure. I haven't tired it with a full load of people, but I already know it will be much better. The All Sports shop is great!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Yes adjusting the brakes can make a BIG difference in how well they work. Glad to hear adjusting them has helped and thanks for the follow up.