Thinking about 72 volts

Eldon

Andy had said he uses a 36 volt charger for his 72 volt cart. I want to know if I hook up the charger to batteries 1-3 to 36 volt and batteries 4-6 to 36 volt do I need to disconnect the battery cable from 3 to 4 before charging.

gornoman

I believe Andy uses 2 36v chargers at once as you described, no wires removed. I use a similar setup to get my 48v cart charged. Works fine.

If you just use 1 charger, it will need to run 2 complete cycles. Do not try to parallel the twin 36 banks to the single charger. The transformer is not rated for that duty cycle.

JRay

Cartaholic
He uses one 36 volt charger, so they charge the same.
tip.gif

Andy4639

After talking with Guroo Nate on this I have only used the same charger on both set's that way I know they charge the same, when I say the same I mean by the charger being the same one. Nate pointed out to me that 2 differant chargers could have the set's out of balance from each other after a few chargers if they didn't have the same output ratings. Old verses new also would could effect it.

Eldon

So you charge one bank at a time or both at once. I thought you charged both at once thats why I asked about disconecting battery 3 from 4.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've built a few 72 volt carts and have used two 36 volt chargers. You could always rotate the chargers if battery balance is a problem. If both chargers are working right it shouldn't be a problem.

Andy4639

I charge each set by themself. One charger.
One charger is just to easy. I don't have to have two chargers all the time.
thumbup.gif