No Power at the Key Switch

Hassan

I have 1995 48 Volt Yamaha Golf Cart. A week ago it ran out of Battery. So I towed the cart by another Golf Cart from the location to my house. I put the batteries under the charge and fully charged the battery. When I tried to turn on the cart it did not worked. It seems that there is no power at the key switch even when I switch it to reverese I do not hear the annoying beep. I know my golf cart has a switch under the seat with two position of TOW and RUN which I failed to put it on TOW when I towed the cart. Does it have anything to do with that? If so what could have gone wrong and what can I do to fix it? Thanks for anyone out there taht can help me.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

Towing a regen cart without switching the run tow switch to tow is not good. Usually towing a cart without flipping the switch to tow will burn up the motor, controller or both. If the motor fried you can usually smell it.

How far did you tow the cart?

Check the fuse in the key switch wires.

What is your total battery pack voltage? Check and post those numbers.

Check all your cable connections to make sure they're all clean and tight.

Hassan

I have checked the cables are good and connections are tight. I did not smell any thing during tow. We towed the cart about half a mile. By the way the lights are working. So as per your suggestion it is eithr the motor or the controler which both are expensive and not easy to be replaced. Any suggestions or recommendation will be welcomed.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
There should be a fuse in your key switch wires. I'm not positive where it's located on a 95 but you should find it by following the wires from the key switch. Check the fuse first.

You can test the motor using a 12 volt battery charger set at about 15-20 amps, a 12 volt battery or two of the carts batteries.

Testing a SepEx, Regen, Shunt Motor:

Flip the run tow switch to tow
Disconnect the main positive and negative cables from the battery pack
First mark the cables at the motor so you know where they go.
Spray a little penetrating oil on the studs.
Disconnect all the cables from the motor (use a wrench to hold the jam nuts on the studs).

To test a SepEx, shunt wound regen motor you jump the S1 to A1 and the S2 to A2 terminals. This is two separate connections. Take 12V positive and hook to the S1/A1 combination and 12V negative goes to the S2/A2 combination. The motor should spin.

If the fuse is good and the motor tests good chances are the controller is bad...

Hassan

Thank you for your quick reponse. I have already checked couple of fuses that I could find and they both were OK. I have several questions before I test the motor. First my golf cart uses 6 of 8 volt batteries (48 Volts total) so for testing the motor should I use one of them, two of them in series, or I should use my car battery to test the motor. Second, do I need to put the cart on jack or if I put the switch on tow it will disengages the motor from the wheel and I should be OK?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Sorry I should have mentioned to jack the rear of the cart up and put it on jack stands. You can use two of the carts batteries for testing, one 8 volt may work but use two in series to be sure. When you do the test the tires will start spinning as soon as you connect the power to the motor if the motor is good so be careful...