need help on a 86 elec.

riverratt23

OK I have been working on my golf cart now for almost two weeks and I cant figure it out. for somereason it will run fine for about 10 min then the solinoid and f/r switch get extreamly hot and I start losing power quick. It started right after I had to change out my cables after one of them got hot enought to melt the post on a battery so now I have a new battery all new battery cables and a new solinoid. I dont know where to go from there!!!!! could it be the f/r switch or any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

riverratt23

just battery cables also I dont know if it makes a diffrence but It is lifted with 23" tires I dont know if that makes a diffrence or not

gornoman

Did you install a HD solenoid? How about the controller, is it stock also? Those 23's are drawing plenty of current...

riverratt23

I did get the hd solinoid but I beleive my cart is a resistor cart it has a bunch of coils instead of a controller I think.

JRay

Cartaholic
86 electric. Does it have 5 solenoids and resistor coils behind the batteries? And a micro switch slide box? For get all that stuff i just asked , i am not awake , thought i was in the club car section, sorry.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I would pull the forward and reverse switch apart and have a look at the contacts. You may want to upgrade ALL cables to 4 guage to help with the 23" tires also..

fabbinman

I recently had the SAME problem. Check your connections. The problem is probably a loose connection. Mine was at the motor at the S2 terminal. The wire was tight, but the terminal was loose in the motor housing. If you find something simular, let me know. I figured out how to fix it on the cheap......FREE

riverratt23

ok I checked all of that thanks guys so I found the cables goin to the motor all had cuts in the insulation and were touching the battery trays so maybe that is the problem.

Otter

Dry Rot will get you every time!!
wallbash.gif
Let us know how it's going.
thumbup.gif

How 'bout some pics of your cart? Done any Mods?

riverratt23

yeah I have a fews mods it has a 8" lift 23" swampfoxes 12" wheels red led s underneath, cd player, head lights had a 10" sub woffer and 200watt amp but I took those out because it was to much for here at the campgrounds lol