Melex project cart

Yanknrebel

Just bought this fixer-upper for $50, non running, no batteries. got a ways to go...........
Let me know what u think. P.S.--I didnt pick the color, but its ok w/me!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It's clean for as old as it is.
thumbup.gif
Did you get a battery charger with it?

melex252

It's a Melex 252, about 1984 to 1985 - they are an Ezy Go clone and a lot of the early Ezy-go parts fit - especially the speed controller board and wiper arm etc are still available.

Nice-looking cart

Yanknrebel

UPDATE: Got her running about a week ago, using 3 12v car batteries, she seems to have ok speed and enough oomph to pull my 300+ lbs around. Dont have any bigger hills around the shop here to see how it will do. Gonna run her around till the batteries are down to 35 or 34 volts to see just how much driving I can do on the car batteries, then see how they take a charge fron the charger. The battereis were free and I scrounged some cables to hook everything up, so I have 100 in the cart and charger, 120 or so in the new resistor board and some cables for it, and 0$ in the batteries. Anyone use car batteries before? just wondering what to expect for "life" and run time. I'll try to keep y'all posted on how it goes!
biggrin.gif

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Run time will be half or less than it would be with six golf cart batteries. The over all life of the batteries will be short, especially if you run them down to 34 volts every time.

Yanknrebel

They started out @ 38.5 v open circuit, i checked them this AM, and they were @ 37.4V, do you think I should recharge when they get to 36? I may still spring for the 6-6v batteries, they have them @ the local sams club for like 74.85 each, which is as cheap as I have seen anywhere for new batteries. My thinking was to get as much out of the 12v batteries as I could, the cart is gonna be @ my campsite, getting 2 days use every couple of weeks through the summer. The round trip to the pool and back is close to a mile though, and I'm sure my kids are gonna want to make that trip twice to three times a weekend. The other thing that makes me a bit unsure about the 12v batteries is my charger, it starts out about 25 amps or so and decreases over the charge cycle. That high of an amperage may sulfate the plates on the 12v batteries, so I am up in the air. I suppose I will just go ahead and pop for the 6v batteries, and new cables since the cables I am using are set up for automotive style posts. The 12v's did give me a good shakedown for the cart, as it was unknown if it was gonna run properly or not, and I have run it for probably 1-1.5 miles around the dealership here in the last week. Now I gotta fix me up some rear seats for the kids to ride on. Prolly cost me more than I got in the rest of the cart (excepting batteries)
wallbash.gif
I'll keep ya posted and try to get up some pics when I get the seats done. Thanks!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I would try to keep them over 12 volts. I know a few guys out by my cottage who tried the three 12 volt battery setup and it worked out ok for a while. It all depends on how much use the cart gets. Your definitely better off with the six 6 volt golf cart batteries though...

Yanknrebel

Agreed on that point. just my frugal tendencies showing through. I know in the long run i'll have to put the right batteries in. I am just trying to delay it as long as possible.
biggrin.gif