Help getting more torque

Elecclubcar

I have a 97 club car 48v with a lift and big tires and I need more power/torque. I don't want to much speed but I need to be able to climb a steep hill (not dangerous or anything
rolleyes.gif
) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BIGDAWG

the best way to get more torque is to change
the final drive gear. stock is about 12-1 ratio,
the next lower gear is about 15-1 ratio you will
loose 3-4 mph but it will help your climbing greatly.

BIGDAWG
twocents.gif

DWscott

You have in a way caused your own problem? You lifted the cart and added larger diameter tires that cuts down on power and speed as well.
You need to possibly start to offset your problem with a set of 4 guage cables all around, not only to batterys but also to F&R swich and to motor. Then put in HD bars in your stock F&R switch or replace with HD unit to carry the amp load better. After that you will need to get a higher HP motor or a higher torque motor or a multi speed motor? If that doesnt do it its time for a gear change maybe to 15-1 ratio?
From there its anything that you can afford as the skys the limit?

BIGDAWG

I don't understand you are telling him to throw all this money at his cart
and then the last line says if that doesn't work change the gear. THAT IS
THE KIND OF ADVISE THAT MAKES NO SENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

DWscott

BIGDAWG- IM SORRY IF YOU FEEL I HAVE STEPPED ON YOUR POST AND IF SO I APPLOGIZE. What I told him was to first get ( ALL ) the available power to his existing differential FIRST and THEN SEE if its enough without jumping into a gear change that wont help unless he is getting max out of his power sourse to start with ( power sourse being all that I recomended to do )? The way I listed is what most cart owners do by upgrading or replacing parts in an accepted manner according to what I read in this and other forums? I feel that until you have brought ANY CART up to its FULL POWER ITS NOT going to help to jump ahead? Im looking at it from a dollars and cents basis and a normal accepted procedure?

BIGDAWG

D W SCOTT

It's not about stepping on any post, it's about reading the questions
people ask & answer to the best of our ability. not try to make a hod rod,
or race cart out of everything. I'm sorry that we have different opinions,
[everybody has one ] I do a lot of long trail type rides & the thing you
suggested take the dependability, & distance from a stock cart.

BIGDAWG

Elecclubcar

I've also been told to replace the stock controller with a 500amp controller to gain torque and speed. What are your thoughts on this?

gornoman

A bigger controller will increase your available torque, but not your speed UNLESS your large tires are holding you back.