Hello - My New EZGO Marathon 2 Stroker

Ironhead Tony

Hi all. Got my first cart for $500 and Just trying to keep it running and make it a little better without sinking a lot of $ into it. 86 Ez-Go. Where to start? I just finished powerwashing it and re-covered the seats with new vinyl. Added a rearview mirror. It has 18" wheels on it and I was wondering if I could put some bigger ones on it without a lift kit. Maybe 20" or 22". Any feedback on that? I'd like to install a radio and maybe some ground effects on it eventually. Can this be done with the stock wiring/battery setup? Your feedback has helped a lot since I found this site. Thanks to all.

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
The old Ezgo's are the easiest to lift on the cheap with home made parts. You can buy the pieces cut to order and drill some holes and bolt it on. Easy.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
20 inch tires will work on the rear with no problem. If the front springs are good they'll work on the front but they may rub a little when turning.

Is this a gas or electric cart? You can install a radio with no problem on either...

Ironhead Tony

2 stroker HRC.
I wouldn't have to up the battery? Someone told me tonight that I would need a marine application radio/speakers because of moisture.
How do I go about lifting this thing a little? Saw some 20' tire in wal-mart for $45 apiece. Looks like they may fit on my rims too. Think the rims are 8".

Ironhead Tony

What pieces would I need. I can get all the angle/tube/channel for free most likely. Was looking at the steering column today to see if I could lift this a little. Haven't quite figured it out yet how to go about it.

OlBoy

You should just need blocks for the front. Put the front springs on top of the axle and add blocks in between to get the lift you want. Im not sure about the back. Does it have leaf or coil springs on the back?

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
In the front, get 4 pieces of 2x4 rect. tubing 4 inches long. There are 3 bolts holding the front of the springs to the axle and 3 holding the rear of the springs to the body. You drill 6 holes in each piece of tubing. 3 on the top and 3 on the bottom. Off set them all by 1 inch so you will end up moving the front axle 2 inch's forward when you put the blocks between the spring and the body and the spring and the axle. On the rear of the spring mount there are spring locater mounts welded on. Just put the blocks on top of them and bolt them down. Leave everything loose, find a spot to measure to and center the axle, then tighten it all up.

In the back, get 2 pieces of pipe with an I.D. that will fit over the spring locater pin. Have them cut to 4 inches each. Jack the cart up and place these on the locater pin. Get 2 pieces of pipe that have an O.D. that will permit them to slide into the fore mentioned pipe. Cut these to 4 inches and slip them into the other pipes. These will locate your springs. Slip the coil spring on and you will have a 4 inch lift.

You will have to get off set rims if you get tires bigger than 20 inch. The bigger tires bulge out and will rub on the inside if you do not have off set rims. Maybe the 20 inch will do this too. I do not know.

JRay

Cartaholic
You the man Copb, get your ass out of that cold country and get south.
rotflmao.gif

Ironhead Tony

Thanks Olboy and copb. I should be able to get something done out of that info for sure. I definitely won't have to mess with the steering column, will I?

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
When I raised mine in the manner described, I didn't touch any of the steering linkages at all. Everything just bolts back together. If you raise the front by putting all the lift on the front of the springs, the spring will end up in the space that the steering linkage wants to be.

Another way to go, and one I might try if I lift another early ezgo, is to take the front springs to a place that manufactures springs or can send out to have them manufactured and have new springs made with the lift built in and 2 inches longer. That would make a clean package.

Ironhead Tony

You're just a wealth of info copb. All from experience I take it.
As I was looking at this cart and pondering your suggestions, I don't think I can use the stock shocks if I lift. Also, there's only about 3/4" clearance between the shock and the rear tire so, a bigger tire looks to be out of the question unless I buy some offset rims too.
I may just leave this one at stock height and start saving for a nicer cart. Just trying to improve what I have for now and keep it running. Darn kids think it's a Nascar and a Baja dunebuggy or something. I really would like to have a windshield on it for night runs. Think I'll try a piece of lexan from the local home depot and put a hinge in the center to fold it down in the daytime or a sheet of clear vinyl perhaps. Ever done these or know of anyone who has?

COPB

Cartaholic - R.I.P.
Yeah, you have to take the shocks down to your local auto parts and tell them you want a shock 4 inches longer with the same mounts. Or you can make shock extenders.
With bigger tires, you need off set rims.
I had a hunk of plastic on my old Ezgo. Never felt that I needed a hinged one.