Harley Davidson Golf Cart Build

Nohandles

Hi All,

I'm new here but not new to restoration.For 20 years my dad and me restored antique motorcycles. I'm just finishing a 1975 3 wheeler that I did in metal flake gray, black and chrome. I didn't pull the body for this one but I have a 63 that will be a complete restoration.

I did paint the chrome on it until I'm back to work- if ever?
It really surprised me how nice the bumper and bar that hold the back in the back look painted.
Anyway I hope this is an active forum the others I've found haven't been to much fun

Doug

JRay

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum, rest of these guys must be sleeping in this morning.
rotflmao.gif

smitty1

Welcome early riser.........
Curious on whether you stripped the chrome off before painting that mount? Did you use some sort of chrome paint ?

Nohandles

I didn't strip the chrome but I did rough it up with a 90 degree air tool with 50 grit disc on it. The chrome was real bad and gone in a lot of areas. I used Omni 283 primer to build the surface from the deep scratches.

I'm waiting for a tank strainer and I hope to fire it up today. Wanted to go for a cruse down the street but it snowed here last night.

Nohandles

Took a test ride today to the end of the driveway before it died. I wiggles the forward reverse switch and sparks flew but it ran in reverse to the garage. I'm now removing all the contact points and cleaning them and taping up any bare wire exposed. Should have it whipped then.
I have a notion to just replace the old ignition parts and be done with it?

Nohandles

Yes I did convert to the steering wheel. I thought it would be hard to steer but it no problem for me. I'm 6' 1" with baboon arms so the reach is not problem for me.
Today I ran it a lot-probable 5 miles until it quit again and wont turn over unless you jump the solenoid, darn thought I had her in my pocket. I think the ignition switch died even though its only 4 or 5 years old. The micro switch was checked and it check fine. So it must be the key switch. Unless the forward/reverse switch failed. I had it apart and cleaned it up thoroughly. Don't know what else could have failed since it turned over when I jumped the solenoid.
My mind says just replace everything and be done with but my just get by says NO"
While it was running it ran great and was fun running a mile down the street and back. It got a lot of attention especially from the kids on the street, I think 8 got a cruse so far.
Hope I hope get work through the rest of the problems tomorrow, I have a lot to get done before camping season.
One of the neighbors sister in law had a 65 or 66 that they said I can come get for free. It runs but barely. I'll got get it next week- why? I think I'll restore this original and sell it just for fun

Nohandles

Well good news, after spending the day tracing circuit I found the solenoid to be intermittent. Its running now but I ordered a new one to replace the old. One thing I know the circuits now by tracing them all. Glad its running again.
While I was at it I ordered blinkers and ground affects to jazz it up some more.

Can't wait to get it road worthy. Its sure a lot of fun to play with it.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
glad to hear that your getting it worked out! and having fun at the same time, it don't get much better than that
tip.gif

Nohandles

For those of you who don't have a manual "Get On" I don't know what I would have done without it.
It came down the voltage regulator being the problem so I ordered one ever though I got the old one going. I think the ground- the only one I missed cleaning was dirty. Its been working fine since I cleaned it. Still going to replace it and make sure.

Since I was having so much fun I ordered a blinker kit and green ground affects light for it.
I'll be sad when I run out of things to do on it.

smitty1

Good looking cart. You did a nice job on it. I hope mine looks half as good as yours when its finished. Did some sanding on the tub today. Should be ready for primer sometime Tuesday. Still have engine/clutch work to do but it's coming along.
Some broken bolts, a boogered up crank, worn out parts and other headaches have slowed my Winter! project. But hey man its been fun for the most part. Now have a 76 and a 83 Columbia in the garage next to my 78 project. What have I got myself into??? LOL

Nohandles

Its not that hard to get a good finish any more with the new paints available. I used Omni 283 catalyzed primer. It's a high build primer so I laid it on heavy. Glazing putty afterwords- use only 3M glazing putty it has always been the best. Wet sanded to 220 grit wiped with acryli-clean DX330. second coat of primer,little spot putty in a few spots then wet sand down 320 to 400 g. wipe with acryli-clean again and then tack cloth the entire machine.Omni MTK paint on top. I used a metal flake it it went on like it was regular color.
My only regret is that I didn't clear coat. I just might do it anyway once I do some touch up from the assembly.
The seats came from Cabala's.
My life long best friend passed away last summer. He always had the best of the best. Yesterday while I was showing his wife how to use her new point and shoot camera. I said I would like to have stereo on the Harley. She told me to take the stereo out of his work car because she decided to junk it and didn't want to stereo to go with the car.
Now all I need is to figure a way to add hydraulics to the cart and it will be all tricked out then.