Governor Help Needed for 1971 Rolls Ride

Jayamandus

Hey,
I am having a tough time getting up hills with the 1971 Rolls Ride that I purchased. I replaced the battery pack (Trojan), battery cables, and the motor with no impact to performance. Does anybody know if there is a governor to improve torque/performance on this electric golf cart?
How can I make the adjustment?

I appreciate any help.

Golf Cart Wizard

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
What kind of speed are we talking about? Is the golf cart stretched, and is it 36 volt? There is no governer on that old of a golf cart so either there's a problem or it may just be slow, and you would have to go to 48v to improve performance

Jayamandus

What kind of speed are we talking about? Is the golf cart stretched, and is it 36 volt? There is no governer on that old of a golf cart so either there's a problem or it may just be slow, and you would have to go to 48v to improve performance
The golf cart is not stretched. Serial No. A7920 04214. I believe this is a 1979. There has got to be some sort of speed control. Vintagegolfcartparts.com is selling a copy of the maintenance and operation manual as well as a part list. Would you suggest I purchase one or both of those? It's a club car manual which I believe is compatible. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_7265.jpeg
    IMG_7265.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 3

Zman

Cartaholic
If you want to make it run well, convert it to 48 volt , upgrade the solenoid and controller. the motor should handle it unless you go to a sepex controller at which you would need a shunt wound motor instead of the series motor you have.

Jayamandus

If you want to make it run well, convert it to 48 volt , upgrade the solenoid and controller. the motor should handle it unless you go to a sepex controller at which you would need a shunt wound motor instead of the series motor you have.
Thanks Zman. I've been talking to the owner of vintage golf car parts.com and he confirmed that converting should help. The problem is I just purchased a six pack of 6 volt trojan batteries 2 years ago. There is no natural spot to add two additional batteries. It looks like I'll need to purchase a new battery pack of 8 volt batteries. Do you have any ideas of how I can avoid this? I just spent $1,500 in batteries and would like to avoid and additional $1,500 if possible. Appreciate all of the help.