Gas in air filter

shoaf79

I have an 04 Precedent that I drove for about 30 mins and parked for a couple of hours. As I was walking up to it I smelled gas pretty strong. Looked under the seat and there was gas all around the battery and air filter. I pulled the air filter and gas ran out of it. The engine wouldn't start at first but finally got it running to drive it home. What does this sound like??

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It could be dirt in the carb. I'd pull it off and give it a good cleaning. Check the oil also to make sure you don't have any gas in it...

shoaf79

I'll check tomorrow but a few weeks ago I had a huge white cloud of smoke come out and I changed the oil and it was mostly gas.

thanks again.

shoaf79

Let me say that this is all new to me. I bought this (my first) cart used about 2 months ago. I've since changed the oil, air filter, spark plug, added a tiny tach, lights and now cleaned the carb so I'm still learning.

After cleaning the carb and checking the oil, the oil level looked right but I expected it to be a little darker. I changed it about 10 hrs ago and it still looks new. I have it set so that I normally max out around 4000 give or take a hundred. I went for a drive about 3 miles total. I stopped around halfway for a few minutes and had trouble restarting. Once running I was maxing out around 3400 rpms and the engine would stumble every minute or so. Any other suggestions, or ideas??

Andy

shoaf79

Ok, cart seemed to running good for a couple of days and then today it happened, the engine got completely flooded and finally the gas filled up my oil compartment. Should I clean the carb again??

Any Help appreciated

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I would pull the carb and clean it again. Take a look in the gas tank and see if you spot any dirt in the bottom. I'd change the gas filters too.

shoaf79

I took the carb back off and gave it a much more thorough cleaning. There was a lot of crap in it that I missed since it was my first time doing it. I figured out how to get in every crevice and get it really clean. After changing the oil I also went ahead and changed the air filter. I had already changed the fuel filter and there was no dirt in the gas tank. I have to say it feels like a brand new engine. I have put 3 hrs on it since the cleaning and it performs flawless.

Thanks again for all the help.

CartMechanik01

I've seen this happen many times and everytime this happened it was a float stuck in the carb. because of dirt or the accelerator linkages were out of adjustment causing fuel to come out of the carb. when it was not running.