EZGO TXT Golf Cart Slows Down In a Few Minutes With Full Charge

hcru3rds

I think I have a 1998 EZGO TXT, the tag is gone from the glove box. The forward and reverse switch is under the seat. The batterys are marked (g7) Trojan and after full charge 38.7 volts the golf cart runs fine for a few 3-4 minutes then slows down as if the batterys where dying. The batterys maintain 36-37 volts. With the rear tires off the ground with a jack voltage maintains 36.2 volts.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum.

Does the cart have a run / tow switch under the seat on the controller cover? (passenger side of cart under seat)...

The batteries shouldn't loose that much voltage in that short of time...

I'd start with making sure the batteries don't need water. Pull the caps off the batteries and look to see if the plates are exposed. If they are add distilled water until the plates are just covered then charge them until the charger shuts off. Fill the batteries to about 1/8" below the sleeve that sticks down into each the cell after the charger shuts off...

If batteries don't need water let us know and we'll go from there...

hcru3rds

checked the batteries early before charging 6.5 each (setting 2 day with out charger) charged for about 15 min. --pack without charger was at 41 volts--run it on the ground with volt meter hooked with jumper never got below 37.5--responed to speed control on the volt meter but never got over 2 maybe 3 mph--pulling back in shop-- very small climb--- almost stopped--no large voltage lost--37.3--with pedal all the way down

hcru3rds

next step is check voltage at the motor---what is that going to tell me?--if i low voltage at the motor what is the next step? or is there a step in between?-- thank you-- Horace

hcru3rds

well ---you did good --you got me up off my behind to do something other than looking at it--found a bad connection on the f/r switch--but i was enjoying sitting and looking at it with a rum and coke--but i can find something else to look at----thank alot---- Horace

Kistler

I don't know much but I wonder what you mean when you say "batteries are full"......be careful there. Keep the water level 1/8" below the plastic thingamajig stuff at the top.

Have been reading and getting advice here. Batteries are really rather big thing $ wise.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Glad to hear you found the problem...

Keep an eye on that connection. It's possible the contact stud may have been damaged from the heat. If that cable still gets hot you may want to pull the forward and reverse switch apart and have a look...