EZGO RXV Charging Port Issue

CMK

I have a 2013 EZGO RXV that I recently replaced the charging port on and now have an issue with the charging light. When I replaced it my charging indicator light came on solid green without a charger connected. The previous charging port did not do that. Any ideas as to why my light is on?

Patrick L

Cartaholic
Just to see if I have this correct, the light on the charger [ not the cart ] is on all the time and the charger will not shut off. That sounds as if there is an issue with the way the charger [ male ] end was attached.

CMK

I did replace the harness. I may have found the issue. The temperature wire on the new harness appears to have a problem. I am returning it and getting another.

EzgoTech

Cartaholic
You have 3 wires coming from the charge port correct if so red wire on the main positive battery post along with the grey wire with a black box then the black goes to the main negative battery post.

CMK

Thanks, I sent the harness back and got another one. The gray wire had a problem. If I held just right then my charge light would go off. New harness works great, problem fixed

CMK

I am too. The other problem that I have is the brake not releasing when I turn the key on. It takes a while to release. My research shows that it’s common to the EZGO RXV, any thoughts on that?

EzgoTech

Cartaholic
Although the rxv does a system check everytime you turn the key to foward and reverse to make sure all components are getting proper voltage if not the cart wouldnt run

CMK

The motor has a couple of things that I have noticed.
1 if I leave it in neutral to long is does not want to go, I figuring that it is getting hot
2 if I stop with the back wheels against something, like when loading on a trailer and the wheels stop where the ramp and ground meet, then I have to back up and start again because the cart will not go forward. As if it lacks the torque to push.

EzgoTech

Cartaholic
Yes the rxv have a system disable built into the controller if it sets to long it will kill the power so the batteries will not drain until you recycle the key switch totally normal as for the torque part that could depend on the batteries life and load test

CMK

Next time I set in neutral to long and it does that I’ll cycle the switch, thanks
My batteries are new and it happens when they are fully charged, even the delayed brake release happens when fully charged although it does release quicker when fully charged.
Could the motor have weak brushes?
I will check all of my electrical motor connections this weekend.
I really appreciate your input.

EzgoTech

Cartaholic
Usually short brushes cause the cart to power up but will not run or sometimes seem intermittent what your descriptions seem to point to is bad connection or bad cable causing it to delay possibly being i cant see the cart or scan it

CMK

That at least gives me an idea where to start. I’ve had it about a year and just been putting up with it. It did improve when I replaced all 4 batteries, but still is slow to release sometimes.
What is the normal amount of time that it should take to release?
I typically have to depress the accelerator pedal, sometimes multiple times, to get it to release.

EzgoTech

Cartaholic
It should release on it's own on the 5th click from the cart maybe 3 to 5 seconds max should not have to hit the gas to release it try pulling back the gas pedal towards yourself then flip the key to foward or reverse if it works everytime you do that then hit the pedal to see if it unlocked the motor brake

EzgoTech

Cartaholic
The motor brake has pads built into it sometime they shift causing them to drag and slower the cart could be the issue here