EZGO Golf Cart Loses Power Quick After Full Charge

jallen28145

Hi, I just bought my golf first cart and found this great forum, already found tons of good info but have a question. My golf cart is a 2000 EZGO fleet cart. It has 4 Interstate batteries that are 2007's (according to the stamps on the posts) and 2 Trojan batteries that are 2004's. The golf cart looses power real quick, after a full charge it runs ok on flat ground for a few minutes (maybe 15 minutes) but any inclines kills it really quick. It slows really bad going up any hills, and then won't even move. I've checked the voltage on the batteries after a full charge and I get 6.30 to 6.35 on the Interstate batteries and 6.0 to 6.1 or so on the 2 Trojan batteries. Would I be ok to just replace the 2 Trojan batteries? I found a guy that will sell me 2 Interstate batteries that are a couple years old for $55 each. What should I do? Water is good in all batteries and wires look ok. Would these 2 Trojan batteries have that much of an impact on my golf carts run time and power? I really want to get this golf cart running good without going broke? Looking forward to the replies, and thanks!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum...

1-2 hours after a full charge without using the cart you should see 6.35-6.40 volts.

The two weak batteries will have a big effect on the carts performance and run time. The two used Interstates would be your best bet as long as they're good batteries. Around here you can buy new Interstates for $65.00 so I'd see if you can get him to come down a little on the price. Check them with your meter and make sure they're at least 6.30 volts...

gornoman

Yes, your 2 old Trojans are killing your pack. If you can get those 2 Interstates and they are close to the age of your existing ones, do it. It is ALWAYS best to replace the whole pack at once, but I understand times are tough....

jallen28145

Well, I got the 2 used Interstate golf cart batteries, dated D6, and they are no good either! I charged them up and the golf cart ran ok for 30 minutes then died. The voltage on the 2 new/used batteries was 5.5! Needless to say, I got my money back. I guess I'm going to Sam's Club to buy 2 new batteries. My local sam's has Energizer Golf Cart batteries for $71 each. Do I need to just bite the bullet and buy 6 new batteries?

Thanks for the help!

gornoman

If you plan on keeping the golf cart and enjoying it, I would spend the money on a new pack if possible. Start over with fresh cells, maintain them religiously, and they will serve you well. Anything else just leads to more issues down the road. If the golf cart is gonna be sold off, that's a different decision.