EZGO Electric Golf Cart Motor Connections

JLZ8311

I had posted a question a couple days ago concerning the F&R switch on my EZGO electric golf cart. I ended up getting that fixed. However, now I’m running into a different issue. When I originally installed the new F&R switched, I connected it exactly like the old one. The switch has four terminals, A on bottom, then clockwise A, B, C, and D. Originally, from the motor, a connection ran from S1 to D and from S2 to B. But online it showed opposite, so I switched them around, connecting S1 to B and S2 to D. But the golf cart was then slower speed forward and extremely fast in reverse, like too fast. So, instead of fighting with all the connections under seat again, I decided just to switch the connections at S1 and S2 on the motor. S2 was so hot at that point, then it was fast in forward and extremely slow in reverse, like barely moving slow. So what are the S1 and S2 terminals? Is one fast and one slow speed?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The motor will have 4 studs. Two studs are for the field coil and two studs have the brushes connected to them. The studs on the motor have nothing to do with fast and slow speed. If the studs are getting to hot to touch you may have a bad connection, bad cable or bad brushes in the motor.

Patrick L

Cartaholic
I had posted a question a couple days ago concerning the F&R switch on my EZGO electric golf cart. I ended up getting that fixed. However, now I’m running into a different issue. When I originally installed the new F&R switched, I connected it exactly like the old one. The switch has four terminals, A on bottom, then clockwise A, B, C, and D. Originally, from the motor, a connection ran from S1 to D and from S2 to B. But online it showed opposite, so I switched them around, connecting S1 to B and S2 to D. But the golf cart was then slower speed forward and extremely fast in reverse, like too fast. So, instead of fighting with all the connections under seat again, I decided just to switch the connections at S1 and S2 on the motor. S2 was so hot at that point, then it was fast in forward and extremely slow in reverse, like barely moving slow. So what are the S1 and S2 terminals? Is one fast and one slow speed?

I think I understand your problem as I had a similar one.
A diagram I had showed A [B+], B[S1],C[A2], D[S2].
I found another that showed A[B+],B[S2],C[A2],D[S1]
Mine works with A[B+ controller],B[S2],C[A2],D[S1], motor connection A1 to controller M-.
As HRC stated, motor A terminals are from/to armature [end of motor] and other terminals nearer the middle of motor are field coils[ they tend to have different markings depending on the diagram, but, usually an S.
My controller has only 3 heavy terminals [ from outboard to center, B+,B-,M- ].

JLZ8311

Yes my controller has the same! Most online were showing 4, but mine has B+, B-, & M- like yours! So your saying I should keep it how it originally was with S1 going to D terminal and S2 going to B instead of vice versa like I seen online? Also, from my motor I have A1 going directly to battery, and A2 going to C on forward and reverse switch. Is this not correct?

Patrick L

Cartaholic
Yes my controller has the same! Most online were showing 4, but mine has B+, B-, & M- like yours! So your saying I should keep it how it originally was with S1 going to D terminal and S2 going to B instead of vice versa like I seen online? Also, from my motor I have A1 going directly to battery, and A2 going to C on forward and reverse switch. Is this not correct?

Nope. I don't think thats right. I don't think a motor lead should go directly to the battery. All yours seem correct except for the A1 motor connection. Mine goes to the controller M-.
Without going to look, I think, pos at battery goes to the solenoid. neg at battery goes to B- at/on controller. Small wire at B- controller goes to inboard side of solenoid. B+ controller leads, one heavy to F/R connection A and second heavy wire to outboard solenoid.

JLZ8311

Ok yes I went check it out, that’s how mine is. I was mistaken. But I switched the B and D on F&R switch and now it’s doing right

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Just in case anyone else come across this thread and has questions about the difference between the (OLDER) EZGO controller with 4 large terminals and the newer controllers with 3 large terminals.

The fourth A2 terminal on the controller is for plug braking which EZGO doesn't use anymore (it never worked right). The newer stock and aftermarket EZGO controllers don't have a A2 on the controller. If you're replacing a 4 terminal controller with a 3 terminal controller you can do the following. If the controller has 2 cables connected to A2 you can remove them from the controller and bolt them together or make a new cable. If the controller only has 1 cable on A2 just eliminate the cable completely, the other end of the cable would need to be removed from the F&R switch which would have 2 cables. So when your done the F&R switch would only have one cable on the contact stud.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Not to be a dick on a series motor S stands for stator stator is the nonmoving windings A Stands for Armature the moving windings with brushes

JLZ8311

Ok thanks. As I stated, I am a female, with little knowledge on golf carts. I was able to fix it bc I grew up with a dad for a mechanic so somewhat mechanically inclined, but don’t know what all that stood for. All I know is when I switched the cables on F&R switch, it was extremely fast in reverse in slower in forward, didn’t know if it had to do with something being high speed or low speed on motor. But I switched it back to how it was originally done instead of how the internet said to do it and now it’s right, it’s faster in forward and regular speed in reverse

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Yes you are correct on DC motors you swap the two wires going to the motor and it changes direction either the two stators or the two armatures