Club Car Variants

Csimpler

Owned a 200 Club Car DS for about ten years. Have used this and other forums for info and entertainment. My question is there anywhere to find a listing for Club Car variants. Mine is 48 volt with a controller and wiper switch throttle. Have seen references to 03 36 volt, 2000 36 volt resistor. 48 volt with mcor. Seems CC makes different variants in most years and would like to find a listing. Almost seems like they make carts based on what they have to work with.

Golf Cart Wizard

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Ok, so this will be a guide for electric Club Car golf carts. Most people aren't dealing with anything older than a DS so I'll start there, but there are other articles about earlier club car models and history available online. This will be about the base golf vehicles, everything may not apply to the utility and villager models. Also club car loves to do mid cycle changes for no reason so the years may not be exact as it's hard to know for sure. I won't cover gas as I'm not as familiar so hopefully someone who knows more can chime in for those. Also feel free to add any additional info you may have.

1982: Club Car releases the DS model golf cart, named for the initials of designer Dom Saporito. The early DS had several differences from modern models most are more familiar with. When it debuted it had the 5 solenoid 36v resistor drive, a slightly different frame which can be differentiated by large aluminum "boxes" behind the outboard batteries for splash shields vs the plastic wheel well liners on later models (and there is an early and late version of said plastic liners), different upper control arms with solid bronze greasable bushings, different rear axles, manual adjusting brakes, aluminum front and rear bumpers with rubber inserts and end caps, a brown colored dashboard and seatback covers, and a 3 spoke steering wheel with no clipboard. These also have a fiberglass body (which most DS headlight kits will NOT fit) that has a straight body line in the front vs. the later plastic ones where the body line dips around the club car emblem, and the rear has no access panel and rubber fender flares instead of the molded into the body. Also worth mentioning on 36v club car resistor carts the FNR has a connection for 36v and 18v, that is how they get slow speed reverse.

Mid 80's: The DS gets a revised frame. This won't be the only time either, however the new version is close enough to modern ones that there aren't any real fitment issues for parts. You can tell because these now have the plastic rear fender liners. It still has the fiberglass front cowl but I think the mounting points were changed. At some point later on they would begin using the graziano axle that is still used today, and the drive system would be changed from the 5 solenoids with speed switch throttle (basically 5 microswitches in a box, they are rebuildable BTW) to the notorious 36v V-Glide system. Instead of having individual solenoids for each resistor coil, there is now a single solenoid and the throttle itself is now the high current switch. This has numerous problems by design which I won't get into, but I would avoid these golf carts unless you plan on doing a solid state conversion. The problem is they were designed for use as GOLF carts, where they are driven short distances then parked giving the system ample time to cool down. The real problem is when you add any additional load to the system, such as a back seat or big tires (or big motors if you really want a show) which 95% of you probably are going to do. The system just can't handle the amp draw and components will constantly fail. Also any number of faults can result in the resistor becoming energized while parked, which best case scenario will drain your batteries stone dead, and worst case use you imagination, this is a several hundred degree resistor. Oh and the golf cart will start moving if the parking brake is off to boot. The only way to prevent this is by placing the FNR in neutral, so if you have a 36v resistor club car please NEVER leave the golf cart without shifting to neutral.

1993: Several changes were made, another revised frame and the body was changed to the armorflex material however these early bodies did not have the rear access cover yet, the body change also brought the revised wheel liners. I believe this is when the dash and seatbacks were changed to black, plastic front and rear bumpers were added, the familiar 4 spoke steering wheel with clipboard was introduced, and the control arms changed to the "delta A-plate" type. There was also a version with a Curtis 1204 speed controller and was still 36 volts. Not much is known about these as they were only made for a short time until the 48v version. The components are different from the resistor and 48v versions however 48v parts can be retrofit easily. These used the v-glide based multi step potentiometer however it was a 2 wire 0-5k version. A MCOR4 conversion kit can be used to replace this if it fails, I have done it.

1995: Club Car introduces the first 48v golf cart with the "Powerdrive" system. This was made possible by working with Trojan Battery to develop an 8 volt golf cart battery instead of needing 2 additional batteries. This also introduced the "On Board Computer" to control charging and the battery light in the dash. First year models had several changes from the ones that would follow. While 1995 did add the self adjusting brakes I believe, they still did not have the rear access panel and used the 2 wire 0-5k throttle and wire harness from the earlier 36v controller models. 1996 added the rear access panel and switched controllers to the 5k-0 version. These would either use the v-glide multi step potentiometer now with 3 wires, or the "continuously variable potentiometer" which is like an early MCOR mounted on the driver side. The plug for this part was not sealed and very prone to corrosion, I've fixed several just by replacing the plug. If you experience total failure of either you can again convert to MCOR4. Also the 36v controller model was discontinued and the resistor system carried on unchanged.

That is enough typing for now, I will post part 2 later

Golf Cart Wizard

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
1996/7: The "Powerdrive Plus" AKA Regen 1 became available. I've never personally seen one so I'm basing the following on the parts drawings. These models had the controller mounted to aluminum bars running directly under the access cover area, as did all prior DS controller carts. These had two solenoids, one for a dynamic brake resistor which on these models was mounted just like the 36v models. Think these used a GE controller but not sure. Also the speed sensor plug is different so not sure if these motors can be interchanged.

1998: The Regen 2 version replaced Regen 1. Also the aluminum bars across the back were removed and there was now a vertical mounting plate that held the OBC, solenoid(s), and controller on both series and regen golf carts. The regen 2 used a GE controller and the grey case GE motor with a triangular deutsch connector speed sensor making it interchangeable with later iQ motors. In fact, there was an aftermarket harness developed so these could be converted to use iQ controllers when they eventually broke. They also had the second brake solenoid but now the resistor was mounted directly across the solenoid posts. As far as I know there is no way to program either of the regen controllers meaning replacement is the only way to increase speed unfortunately.

2001: The first generation MCOR was introduced. Also halfway through the previous year several body changes were made. Gone were the bare aluminum roof struts and flimsy canopies, DS models now had black steel roof supports for a new top with integrated "OH S***" handles and rain gutters. The individual seatbacks were replaced with a single bench and the bottom cushion ditched the aluminum bar frame for molded plastic armrests.

2002/3: The first iQ golf carts would go into service. These can be easily distinguished from earlier "Powerdrive Plus" vehicles by the addition of a diagnostic port on the bottom side of the FNR switch housing. This port allows you to connect a handheld for the first 6 months of the golf cart's life before corrosion renders it completely useless, at which point you will have to pull the access panels and connect directly to the controller. You can adjust speed, acceleration, and regen. You can also monitor live data making the diagnostic process much faster. Early models still used the gray GE motor, but later in production would switch to the black AMD motor shared with the Precedent. These only use a single solenoid. Also somehow the 36v resistor drive is still in production. I have definitely seen 03's. Parts manual seems to suggest they went on even longer.

2004: The Precedent is introduced. To avoid confusion I will make a separate post for this and keep this one DS focused. An intersting note is 04+ models came with the same front hubs as the Precedent. That's why there's a different lift kit for 04+. The parts manuals list the 48 volt series and 36v resistor carts up to 2006, not sure if they actually still made them by then. 2007 was another big change for the DS. The frame was again redesigned, kinda. The new frame looked alot like the frame used on the gas version, I think they were trying to consolidate and only have one common frame style. These later carts can be distinguished externally by the charger port which was moved to the top corner like on an EZGO TXT. I think this is also when they changed to the non greasable tie rod ends shared with the precedent. If you have the later style tie rods and want a lift kit you either have to drill out the tapered holes (which is a giant pain IMO) or purchase the old style greasable rods. One thing to look out for is these were now available with a 4 x 12 volt battery configuration. It can be converted to 6 x 8 volt, if you can weld aluminum. Also the factory 6 x 8 version now had 4 batteries between the frame rails and one mounted in each side. 2013 technically marked the final year for the "DS", however the basic frame design is still used for most Carryall and Villager models and technically you can still buy a brand new DS. Look up "Club Car Carryall 100 4 passenger" if you're curious.

Golf Cart Wizard

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
@bogman I have noticed they are pretty reliable in their stock form, if not exposed to conditions that corrode the contacts inside the V-glide. Many are missing the cover by now though which gives the battery acid easy access to ruin your day

Golf Cart Wizard

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Ok, I made a separate post for Precedent and newer, so that this discussion can remain focused on the DS.