Club Car Fails to Run After I Stop

Invisabull

2000 Club Car 48 volt golf cart. Within last six months forward and reverse switch replaced and new solenoid. Reason for replacement is at times when I stop it fails to run again, no solenoid click sound at all. If i pull it back to my yard where I can work on it, it seems start working again and when its working everything is fine. This was purchased about 7 years ago so others have worked on it. Comparing the wiring diagram there is a black and white wire coming off the forward microswitch to primary circuit on solenoid. Mine only has the red and yellow wire. Also the wiring diagram shows two resistors, mine has only one across the secondary circuit (heavy cables) ... preshate any help given

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Does it stop moving in forward and reverse? It could be the micro switch causing the problem. @Diode should be able to help you out when he sees this post. Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

Invisabull

yes, won't go in either direction ... but it seems to fix itself like its a heat problem then will work perfect for several hours or even several days before it fails again ... tested the micro switch (normally open) and full battery voltage goes through it even when it fails to close the solenoid ... also it might be helpful to know this never happens while moving. only after i stop and try to go again ... thanks for the welcome ;)

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Okay that would rule out the micro switch. Do the small and large terminals on the solenoid have power when this happens. With the key on and the throttle pressed if it gets power to both small solenoid terminals but only one large terminal it would be the solenoid causing the problem.

Invisabull

replaced the resistor this afternoon ... desperate move i know ... it worked without fail ... will check those voltages the next time it fails ... intermittent problems are difficult to troubleshoot

Invisabull

ok, another failure ... meter ground on negative extreme of batt. system ... heavy red wire secondary circuit of solenoid is 49v, same on the yellow wire (puzzling) if solenoid is not closing? ... primary circuit, red wire 49v, yellow wire 1.5v ... had my wife pushing go peddle while i was checking the primary circuit and as i removed multimeter probe, cart suddenly lunged forward (audible solenoid click) ... we drove it back to my yard ... reminder, this is a new solenoid but even new can be faulty

Invisabull

addendum: sitting idle with no pedal depression there is .561v on both red and yellow wires on primary circuit ... 49v on each of secondary circuit cables

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The other possibility is a bad controller. I'd double check every cable and small wire connection on the cart before buying a controller.

Invisabull

That's a LOT of connections! chuckles :D Just figured out why I am getting battery voltage on both sides of me secondary solenoid circuit. It's the resistor. Actual readings are 49.4 and 49.2. Does the controller complete the primary circuit on solenoid. I am thinking that I may have accidently completed a circuit with my multimeter probe that temporarily fixed it again. Right now the cart is functioning as it should. If controller were at fault, it seems to me it would always fail. Some times it will go for weeks without a problem. I am not a golfer. This is strictly a utility vehicle that's a rolling tool box on my 1.5 acres and my neighbors property. The furtherest I drive is about 200 yards to check mail and garbage detail. My location is central Florida.