Bearings for my Harley/Columbia

Rd58

Hi guys, just bought my first cart a few days ago. It’s a 1984 3 wheel Columbia with the 2 stroke motor. I paid $75 for the cart knowing it had motor issues. Turns out the motor was worse than I thought. I have split the case and figure I’m looking at a full rebuild. All of the bearings are shot and by the looks of the piston the rings are also bad. I have a few questions. 1. How does one separate the 2 half’s of the crankshaft? 2. Does anyone know part numbers for the bearings, both crank bearings and lower con-rod Bearings. 3. Is this cart worth throwing money at? What is a good running one worth?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Ryan

Attachments

• A0CEC0E7-0247-4D1C-8F37-FADF23FE0B69.jpeg
    A0CEC0E7-0247-4D1C-8F37-FADF23FE0B69.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 11
  • FF622B6A-FFE6-480A-AC8A-386F051B3AA0.jpeg
    FF622B6A-FFE6-480A-AC8A-386F051B3AA0.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 6A3A93AB-7DB0-432A-817F-AB0D45553E95.jpeg
    6A3A93AB-7DB0-432A-817F-AB0D45553E95.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 11

Rd58

I kind of figured... I have access to a relatively complete machine shop. I was thinking maybe clad weld the bearing surfaces and turn them in the lathe to take out the wear then replace the 2 main bearings. The rod Bering feels ok and the wrist pin is slightly worn but this won’t be a high mile cart. Thoughts on this?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I'm fairly confident the rod journal is in a similar condition as the the PTO end but who knows, you should be able to look in slot in the bottom of the rod and get a pretty good idea

image-jpg.4312

Rd58

Ok, I took a gamble on eBay and bought a mostly complete motor for $150. I will update when I receive it and let you guys know how it goes. Wish me luck. Thanks again for thoughts and responses.

Shootrig

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
It looks bad, and, it ain't good, but I've worked on ugly stuff myself; not cart engines, but internal combustion engines nonetheless. It's all fixable with a little determination. Stay strong and keep in touch here for encouragement.

Rd58

Update:
So I received the engine from eBay tonight and swapped over all the parts to make a complete engine. I tested compression at 100psi using a drill to spin it. I then put new brushes and brush holder in the starter generator because the old ones were worn away. I put the engine in the cart and got the engine running without the drive belt on. I then put on the drive belt and with the amount it drags the starter cannot spin over the motor. I heard this was an issue with the 82 models and wonder if there is sopposed to be a bushing or something on the center shaft of the primary clutch. I got the motor to run by pushing the cart and running the starter and once it’s running it drives ok. Any ideas on making the cvt drag less? Thanks in advance

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Can ya post a picture of the belt installed and how much slack there is, i agree with checking the width also.

Rd58

Hi again, I figured out the issue :) the side of the primary clutch that moves was stoping short of returning all of the way. When I tap it with a hammer it pops all the way back. I’ll have to pull the clutch and clean it out good