Bad Solenoid on Club Car DS

Kansas Kid

96 Club Car DS - push on gas pedal and nothing. Shorted solenoid across and engine runs while shorted., quits when unshorted.
Guessing bad solenoid. Does this sound about right

Rstaley

Cartaholic
It should take thee things to energize the solenoid: the key switch being ON, the Forward/ Reverse microswitch being activated (a direction selected), and the accelerator switch being activated. If all three of those things are happening, the solenoid should stay energized while the engine is running. So, it’s not quite that easy to see what is wrong, but probably the easiest place to start is at the solenoid. When energized, on the small contacts, one of them should show the battery voltage (around 12 volts), and the other should show 0 volts. If that is happening, then the solenoid must be bad. If that isn’t happening, you need to determine which switch is preventing it from happening. Good luck, Ron.

Kansas Kid

Battery is up, key is on, F/r switch activated, buzzes when in reverse, micro switches move when step on accelerator.
Have it in maintenance mode now with F/R in neutral and knob flipped. Will check solenoid tomorrow. Thanks

Kansas Kid

Both small contacts are hot. When lite is hooked to ground, When I touch test lite to one of them solenoid clicks.
Will try new solenoid.

Rstaley

Cartaholic
I hope you mean “have voltage” when you say “hot”. Neither of the small terminals should “feel” hot. Also, all test should bee made with reference to B-. That is the lowest point in the battery pack. NOTHING should be connected to “ground” (as in chassis). One of the small terminals should show B+ (either 36 ro48 volts, I don’t know which you are working with) and the other should show B- (what you might be calling ground) when the solenoid is energized (meaning the three things I mentioned are happening). Sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck, Ron.