99 EZGO that Loses Power on Hills

RobinM

I have a 99 EZGO TXT that came with a camp site that I purchased. It has a 6inch lift and 12in tires. This buggie has like zero power on hills. It does pretty well on the flats, but as soon as it starts up a hill, it just completely dies down. So far we have, changed the air filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel pump, replaced the fuel lines and clamps, changed the oil and filter, installed a new carb, replaced the clutch with a high torque clutch, adjusted the governor, checked the compression (reads 150 for both cylinders). Nothing has really made a difference. It does have a slight pop when you let up off the gas. What am I missing or am I expecting something out of this buggie that it isn’t capable of doing?

RobinM

Today we checked that the exhaust wasn’t plugged up. It wasn’t. We will adjust the valves and see if that makes a difference. We did notice today that it seems like we are only getting about 1/2 throttle. Like the max power is when you have the pedal 1/2 way pushed down.

BurlyDeer

Definitely ensure the valves are adjusted. Throttle linkage adjustment (including the governor) can cause this issue. Should be able to pull hills alright, especially with the upgraded clutch.

RobinM

Adjusted the valves. They were all a little loose. Seems to run smoother and easier to start, but no more power. Checked the plugs and they were white, which means that it is running to lean. Put a new carb on (bought on Amazon). The gas runs out of the overflow, like the float is sticking. The instructions that came with the carb say to lower the needle clip and increase the jet size. The issue is that nowhere on this carb can we find the needle and it only has one jet size. Any suggestions?

Golf Cart Wizard

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Put a new carb on (bought on Amazon). The gas runs out of the overflow, like the float is sticking. The instructions that came with the carb say to lower the needle clip and increase the jet size. The issue is that nowhere on this carb can we find the needle and it only has one jet size. Any suggestions?
Throw it in the trash and pony up the dough for a real carb before you destroy your engine. How many times do I have to tell people not to buy Amazon carbs because this exact scenario is what happens?

RobinM

Ok, I ponied up and bought a real carb, went ahead and also bought a real fuel pump. Made absolutely no difference. Maybe this 99 is over its prime and it just doesn’t have anything left to give. I’m done trying. Just gna bite the bullet and get a newer one.

Golf Cart Wizard

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
It is a small displacement engine turning tires that are larger than the drivetrain was designed for. Hard to tell without actually driving the golf cart if there is a problem or not, but the engine may just be at the limit. A newer cart with a larger displacement engine or ditching the lift and big tires would be the only options if so. I guess big block swap is an option too but big motor = big $$$