98 EZGO TXT Weak Spark Only When First Push Gas Pedal

Crs93

Hello,

I have an 1998 EZGO TXT that I'm beyond aggravated with.

Quick story the cart had been sitting a few years so I decided to get it and try to get it going. The solenoid was bad when I got it, and the ignitor wires were pulled out of the ignitor box.

So far I have replaced solenoid, pick up pulser coil, ignition coil, battery and ignitor. I've checked all wires. I have sanded all ground point including bracket solenoid is on. The cart is only getting a weak spark when I first push the gas pedal, an get a spark if it's in a quick duration when I release petal. If I hold down on the pedal I get the initial weak spark and nothing when I release if i let it turn over for a few. What could i possibly be missing or doing wrong. Thanks in advance.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
From what I've seen usually if you get one spark then nothing it's a bad ignitor causing it. Where did you buy the parts?

Crs93

The "new" ignition coil is reading 3.6/3.7 ohms primary side and 18 ohms secondary side. Which is slightly out of range. Could that be causing the problem problem

Crs93

When I put the voltmeter on the pulser coil and turn motor over shouldn't the volts be pulsing? I'm only getting a steady .2 volts while its turning over

Rstaley

Cartaholic
I just hate it when everything is perfect, but the cart still doesn’t run! (I start most of my posts with that because I’ve been in that situation so many times). About the only thing I can think of is a couple of cases where I worked on carts that had similar problems (might not have anything to do with your situation, but things that are worth looking at). When the engine has low compression (like when the throttle is at minimum position), the spark can jump relatively easily through the combustion chamber. When the throttle is opened up, bingo, the compression goes way up (along with the resistance to the path of current) and the spark gets tempted to take an easier path (like through a bad plug wire to ground or even through the insulator of a bad spark plug). I have also included a drawing that I have used for years to help me through such issues with similar carts. Don’t take the wave forms or readings with the oscilloscope too LITRALLY. They are rough at best, but at least might give you some references. (PS: the air gap of the pulser is critical). Good luck!!

ezgo-golf-cart-ignition-test-diagram.png

Crs93

So I ended up giving up on the cart after messing with it and trying everything I could think of, even took it to a golf cart repair shop and they really didn't have any desire to look at it after sitting in there shop for ~8 months. So I'm back to square 1. I've replaced all the parts listed above in orignal post. The cart will turn over all day long but will not start (no spark). Any ideas where to re-start.

bgood

Start with the grounding system and your meter and make sure you have a solid ground all the way to the motor. Most problems with poor spark are from the CDI (igniter) and rodents eating you wiring. If you get this fixed Please post the results.

MajorMotion

I am having the exact same problem. I have replaced the pulsar, ign coil, solenoid, ignitor, micro switch on accelerator, and battery. Cleaned all grounds down to bare metal. The spark is brighter now but, is still only once. I also need help please.

MajorMotion

I got it! I removed the flywheel and I used a bench grinder wire brush on the pickup portion of the flywheel and had it completey clean. I also pulled down on the pickup as hard as I could while tightening the two bolts. I put flywheel back on and now it runs like a new one. I had already sanded it with sand paper.

Crs93

Glad you got it going! I have replaced everything and checked wires and grounds. I have tried the sandpaper and scotch Brite on flywheel with same 1 spark result. I will give removing fly wheel and use wire wheel a shot. Thanks for updating your resolution.

bgood

Let us know what your fix was when you get it running. I have one sitting here with the same problem.

Crs93

So I got to looking at the flywheel and where the square is cut out in it a piece is broke off on the corner of that square. Would that throw the pulsar coil off?

I cannot for the life of me find a new fly wheel online, all I'm finding is the plastic fan w/o the flywheel hub. Anyone know where I could find one?

Metalhead 55

I just went through my 94 and changed the igniter (Red Hawk from Taiwan, better than Chinese ones) ignition coil (Red Hawk from my local Ez-go dealer, expensive, but guaranteed, especially after buying 4 coils off Amazon 3 were dead right out of the box) voltage regulator, read that a bad voltage regulator putting out anything over 15v will fry a Chinese igniter and coils, solenoid, throttle micro switch and after that i got a very weak spark, but coming from no spark, that was a good thing, i had to set the gap on the sparkplugs really tight, to just get a good spark across the gap, going to look for a aftermarket set of plug wires, the non OEM coils have cheap wires and the insulation is so bad, that i was getting a spark jumping across the wire to the engine head, cleaning all ground wires and the plate that the ignition components sit on is crucial, read on here, that a guy took a battery wire and connected it to negative on battery and ran it over to the mounting bolts for the plate and that helped to brighten spark. Well after 2 months of waiting for parts, 1 trip to a shop, that had a guy claiming 30 years in the business, but had not one clue how to diagnose electrical problems, he must of meant 30 minutes, anyway, i finally got it running last night, spark is still weak, but from my 40 years wrenching on motorcycles, i know that spark will increase under a compression load, similar to a glow plug on a RC nitro motor, (I'm also a huge hobby guy and nitro is my thing) so if you're getting a weak spark, you'll have a better spark inside the combustion chamber, so the engine will run, so ya after spending $1400 for my dream cart and another $400-500 on parts and trick bling, I've got my cart running. My suggestion to those who are having issues with spark to, first check your voltage regulator, before you throw a $100 igniter and $100 ignition coil on and only have it burn out due to a faulty regulator, get a better igniter and coil, you'll save a headache that won't go away, and check every component involved in the production of spark, igniter, coil, pulsar coil and one a lot of people forget, the battery, a dead or low battery will cause no or low spark too, grounds, grounds, grounds, yes they matter, a proper ground is what completes the circuit, without it, your beating a dead horse. I want to thank all those on this site, without your help i would of spent more money and time, resulting in a huge headache, so the information on this site, is priceless for sure. Oh back to the brighter spark under compression thing, check the compression on your motor, should be 130psi -150psi a motor can run on less than 100 but below 60 it'll run like crap and be a candidate for the paperweight brigade, or a boat anchor, these motors are notorious for having the valves tighten up and that would be the number one reason for loss of compression, so check your block first, spark and fuel can only do so much, but the third component to a running motor, is compression. Couple things i learned, no spark or one little spark after releasing the gas peddle, means bad igniter, coil requires 3.2-57 ohms across primary wire tabs and 11-17 ohms on secondary, from sparkplug boot to boot, if it's outside these specs, the coil is no good, next the pulsar coil 19-21 ohms, .1v AC and minimum of 10v from pulsar when motor is turning and to check for a pulse just use a multimeter set on 20v DC check pulsar while motor is turning, should jump from 1v - 3v that shows that it's pulsing and it's good, regulator is an easy test and so is the solenoid, so i hope these diagnostic tools help someone on here, because lost spark is a common problem, but taking one step at a time, you will find the problem and is it's something really weird or odd, please share it with the others on this site, we're the best resource for solutions, so always return and let people know if you solved the problem and let us know what you did. Thank you. Sorry I have Asperger's and pragmatic verbosity is a bitter pill i must endure, so thank you for your patience and understanding.