48 volt club car

Pancakeking

I just put 6 new 8 volt batteries in my club car. The kids road it around the yard
for about 20 minutes. I had to go get them in the yard because the cart wouldn't go. Once I started pushing it, it took off.
seems like I have to push it a little before it will go. I put new cables on it when I changed the batteries. I check the voltage to each battery and it was 8 volts. I also checked it across all 6 and got 48 volts. What could be the problem?
Jeff

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Are you using a digital volt meter? 8 volts is pretty much dead. Charge the batteries until the charger shuts off and see if that fixes the problem...

Pancakeking

Hotrod,
I have a 48 volt cart. I have 6- 8volt batteries. 6x8=48. My charger won't come on because the 8 volt batteries are at 8 volts. Am I missing something?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Here's a chart that shows charge percentages. When a 8 volt battery is down to 8 volts its at less than 50%. The charger should turn on even if the batteries are fully charged. Did the charger work before the new batteries? Did the cart run ok before the new batteries?

StateOfChargePercentages.jpg

Pancakeking

Hotrod,
I have been busy for a few weeks since our last conversation. My charger didn't work before I replaced the batteries . It still doesn't work now.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If possible try the charger on another cart, or try another charger on your cart. Does the charger make any noise when you plug it into the cart?

Pancakeking

Hotrod, It doesn't make any kind of noise what so ever. I will try what you said tommorrow and get back to you.
Thanks, pancakeking

Pancakeking

Hot rod,
I finally got a chance to try my charger on another cart. It worked fine
on my fathers cart. I came back home and put it on mine and still nothing . I did get my tester and I had 51 volts
total across all my batteries. I put the key in and still had to push it to get it to go forward or reverse.

Thanks,
Still stumped, pancakeking

DWscott

"I put key in and still had to push it to get it to go forward or reverse"
Did you mean that the cart took off and ran correctly ( AFTER ) you push started it? By correctly do you mean ran like a normal cart until you stopped and then you had to push again?
If this is the case you may have a bad motor brushes?
You didnt tell what year or model your Club Car is, that is very helpful when trying to help a fellow cart owner.
When you turn on the key and step on pedal "DO YOU HEAR A CLICK" if so the solenoid is closing.
Where is your forward-reverse control, a lever by your right leg or a toggle switch IQ Model on a mount beside your leg?

Pancakeking

I bought this cart used about 8 years ago from a used cart dealer in Robert La. (Cheds) and it was probably better than 5 years old then. Is the model # somewhere on the cart? i saw a serial number, it was A9738-607470. (Hope this helps). It does run fine once I push it until I stop, then I have to push it again. The forward and reverse is a lever by my right leg. When I push the pedal I do hear the solenoid click. This has been a problem since I bought it .It has just sat up in my shop.

Thanks ,pancakeking

Pancakeking

Hotrod,
I answered a few questons you asked on the 27th at 2:52 pm. I haven't heard back.
I hope I didn't wear out my welcome.
Thanks, Pancakeking

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I was waiting for you to answer DWscotts question if the cart always did this or did it start after you replaced the batteries. I re-read your original post again and you say the kids were riding it and it quit after 20 minutes so I'm guessing it was running like it should after the new batteries.

I think you have more than one problem. If the charger works on another cart chances are your OBC is bad or you have a bad connection somewhere.