1997 EZGO 295 Robin Engine No Power

Wlong

My 97 TXT would not start and run unless the choke was fully on. I cleaned the carb 3 times. Same symptoms. Ordered a new carb on amazon. Now it starts easily and runs well on flat ground. It will not rev high enough to go up any type of hill.

I checked valve lash and set all at .004. Spark is good at both cylinders. Compression test is 90psi on each cylinder using a Harbor Freight compression guage. I also adjusted the carb jet. Still no improvement.

Is there anything I am overlooking?

Thanks

Wlong

If I get enough compression to start the engine and run at midrange rpm. How does low compression stop it from higher rpm?

Is there any type of rev limiter mechanism?

Jeff10456

If I get enough compression to start the engine and run at midrange rpm. How does low compression stop it from higher rpm?

Is there any type of rev limiter mechanism?
it would take a couple pages to explain exactly why
in general more compression equates to more power
you dont have enough power to reach high rpm

just know that there is not enough compression and the engine needs to be rebuilt to restore the compression
if you ask a mechanic they can explain it

Wlong

Thanks Is is possible to just do the top end with the motor in place? Possibly just change rings if the cylinders and pistons look good and are in spec? This cart is nearly 27 years old. We use it at the lake to just drive around and haul stuff around intermittantly. Just debating the cost of repair

Thanks

BurlyDeer

If you’ve adjusted valves properly then your poor compression is being caused by your bottom end (rings). Gotta pull the engine out to replace them. You could perform a leakdown test to confirm with certainty, but at 90psi it is kind of a moot point. Just pull it. Rebuild kits are fairly inexpensive. You can rebuild the entire engine with oil and supplies for under $300 if your crank is good.

Rstaley

Cartaholic
That surely is too low of a compression test reading. There are a couple of things I’d look at before I started taking the engine out though. One would be to re-do the compression tests, but this time put about a tablespoon of oil in the top of the cylinder (through the spark plug hole) and then see if it affects the reading. The oil should temporarily create a better seal between the rings and the piston and cylinder (at least for a few strokes), causing a significant increase in compression for the test. If the compression jumps up, you can be sure that the rings are going to need replaced. If not, there could be issues with worn valves. Be SURE to verify that the throttle plate in the carburetor is FULLY open (not just that the pedal is all the way to the floor. You could have a throttle linkage issue. Good luck, Ron. (PS: if the rings are worn bad enough to affect the compression as much as you are talking about, I'd think the engine would be smoking.)

Wlong

Initially I replaced the plugs with no improvement. I tested spark with testers and then verified spark at the tip of the plug. Still no improvement. Then one last time I put another set of plugs on and it worked normally. Even with 90psi compression. So I must have had a bad plug new out of the box. So for now problem solved.

BurlyDeer

Glad you got it running. However, that low compression along with bad plugs further leads me to believe that your rings are worn and fouling your plugs.