Yamaha G14 Golf Cart Front End Noise

bambam5718

First time poster..

I bought a used G14 Yamaha gas cart. The front passenger side tire is worn almost smooth, was like that when I bought it, and now when I am coasting to a stop after letting off the gas, most of the time there is a loud clicking noise. We (me and my fellow golfers) think it is coming from the wheel that is worn smooth. Do i need to relace some bearings? Do I do the Kingpin and bushing kit? Since the tire is worn smooth should I also do the tie rods? And last, do I have to use shocks specific for golf carts or what are the best shocks and springs to use, cart runs good, but I think suspension needs an overhaul

Thanks for the support!!

Tom
usaflag1.gif

dirtysouth

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Welcome
tip.gif
It's common for Yamaha's to wear tires. I would jack the cart up and spin the wheel, the wheel bearings are sealed so if they're bad, you should see the seal has damage. This would be a good time to check k-pin bushings and rod ends for wear.
thumbup.gif

bambam5718

Ok, so I jacked up the cart, removed all four tires, inspected tie rods, wheels etc. everything seems in order. I put the cart in gear while jacked up and ran it, no clicking noise. I put the wheels back on and test drove it, clicking is still there. I can feel it in the steering wheel when it clicks...can it be something with the steering box?

dirtysouth

The older style steering boxes will get end play in them. Do you here the clicking when going over bumps? Could be lug nuts aren't tight enough.

bambam5718

Thanks for the feedback. I hear the noise only after I am decelerating, when I had the tires off and I manually moved the front end from right to left where the tie rods join with the steering shaft there is some play there, shaft moves up and down a little. I took the nut off and then retightened it but there is still play in that shaft up and down. The noise is not there all the time, most of the time but not all the time. Its really frustrating...when i took the wheels off the lugs were so tight I had to use a hammer to break them free.

Tom
usaflag1.gif

dirtysouth

It could be the driven clutch. Also check the rear wheel axle nuts. The hub/drum are splined and can make noise if the nut is loose.