New Batteries in 2003 EZGO and Charger Won't Turn On

Easy MZ

I have a EZGO electric put in new batteries all new connections took it out for a round and put on charger after round my charger wouldn’t turn on. Has me baffled wondering why charger wouldn’t turn on. Got an electrician friend to check it out he tested batteries and they were showing 37 volts. You would think after playing a round they would need a charge. Was worried they were under charged and charger wouldn’t turn on so didn’t take it out again. I’m going to go play again and the try charger afterwards. Does this all sound right just being carful.

Easy MZ

Yes everything is back to the original charger worked before I changed batteries. After they were changed charger wouldn’t start up after playing a round I checked my power wise charger and everything checked out I even was worried board was no good so did the jump trick still no go. I ordered a new charger to try and new one would turn on it showed batteries full. I’m in a catch 22 situation has me baffled.

Jeff10456

i have a 2004 EZgo 36V with lead batteries, they are about 1 yr old
my original powerwise charger will not engage at 37V on the pack
lower than that and it always will, but not higher

Jeff10456

i think i read that sometimes the control boards in the chargers work at slightly different voltages
i.e. some at 37 and some at a different level of charge
play another round and see if it will charge then
if it does - all good
if not you have a problem

Easy MZ

My batteries died on me and the charger never kick on to charge it has to be in the wiring somewhere charger is fine. Batteries are new and all the battery wires are new.

Jeff10456

My batteries died on me and the charger never kick on to charge it has to be in the wiring somewhere charger is fine. Batteries are new and all the battery wires are new.
i hate that happened to you. it will hurt the new batteries to do that to them. get them charged as soon as possible, even if only a little.
even with a working charger you may have to use a 12V charger on each pair to get them up enough for a normal cart charger to recognize them

Jeff10456

@bogman asked this question and i reiterate
are you certain you got all the wires back in the correct places?

you should have at least two wires from the charging inlet on the cart
and they go to B+ and B- of the pack
the same place that the controller feed comes from
if so
are you certain those wires have good connections?

is your charger inlet and charging plug making a good connection?
is the fit between the two unusually sloppy?
plug it in and wiggle it to see if the charger will start

there is a 3rd wire in the plug that goes to the control board in the charger
that is how the charger can recognize a connected pack and turn on
that is also how the charger can turn off when you remove the plug from the cart inlet, or when it is done charging

Jeff10456

Yes everything is back to the original charger worked before I changed batteries. After they were changed charger wouldn’t start up after playing a round I checked my power wise charger and everything checked out I even was worried board was no good so did the jump trick still no go. I ordered a new charger to try and new one would turn on it showed batteries full. I’m in a catch 22 situation has me baffled.
in light of what you know now, a new charger that showed full charge is a bad sign

i dont think you got all the wires back correctly

here is a link to a Repair manual you need to get and use to help you understand and work on your cart, or even just the charger plugs

Easy MZ

Well I got it working I was playing around with it checking all the wiring and I found one of the negative wire had fallen down in the bottom and made it look that it was part of other wires running to other parts of the system. I had taken a look back on a picture of the connections of the batteries I had taken and seen there are two wires connected to positive and also two wires connected to negative. I taped the two together so this wouldn’t happen again. It was the smaller gauge wire coming from the charging port. Well after hook up guess what charger came on and everything is charging fine. Silly mistake but :censored: happens lol. Want to thank everyone for there input learned a lot from this experience THANKS AGAIN hagd.