2005 Club Car DS, No Crank, Blown 10 Amp Fuse

PeterH48

I have a 2005 Club Car DS gas model that I have owned for about 4 yrs. This season it is dead in the water. With a good fully charged battery, when I turn the key on, it immediately blows the 10 amps fuse. Could this be a bad key switch?

PeterH48

Yes, mice could have done that. I guess I will just have to start visually inspecting the wiring for obvious damage. I thought maybe this was a common problem. All I did to the cart was change the solenoid. I probably did not even need that, but I did not discover the blown fuse issue until after I ordered it.

Golf Cart Wizard

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Yes, mice could have done that. I guess I will just have to start visually inspecting the wiring for obvious damage. I thought maybe this was a common problem. All I did to the cart was change the solenoid. I probably did not even need that, but I did not discover the blown fuse issue until after I ordered it.
Did you check you put all the wires back in the right place? If you put wires on the wrong post that will definitely cause the fuse to blow

PeterH48

I considered that. The original solenoid has (pos +) and (neg -) markings on it, but the replacement did not. Before I installed it I researched that and was told that polarity on the switch did not matter.

PeterH48

The small terminals have a short yellow jumper wire across the two, so I don't think it matters. A cart mechanic can probably verify this though.

Golf Cart Wizard

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
The small terminals have a short yellow jumper wire across the two, so I don't think it matters. A cart mechanic can probably verify this though.
Um yes that matters, if you have a piece of wire connected between the positive and negative small posts that's a dead short, guaranteed to blow a fuse or worse. Are you sure it is not a diode encased in clear heat shrink that has turned yellow with age?

PeterH48

I am attaching a picture of the wiring on the old solenoid. There is a large white jumper wire connected between the two small posts. This is how I found it when I first removed the cover. I installed the new one the same way. Would that large white jumper be a diode?

Attachments

• club car solenoid.jpg
    club car solenoid.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 7

PeterH48

That is the before picture. The new solenoid was not marked as to pos+ or neg- so maybe all I have to do is rotate the solenoid 360 degrees so the small connections will be opposite, if that makes sense. I will give it a shot tomorrow and let you know how I make out.

PeterH48

Thanks for verifying that for me. I took that picture before I removed the old one to use as a guide to make sure I wired the new one correctly. Is it possible for a diode to go bad? If not, my short is elsewhere. I am going to start with the key switch because as soon as i turn it on, the 10 amp fuse blows.

PeterH48

OK, so no chewed wires from mice on the cart. Checked all the wires for damage or shorting and all looks good. Not sure where to go next. I hate to just start throwing parts at the machine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.