Zone Electric to Gas Conversion

Bigbob

Thanks.
I priced out getting the Vegas 670 kit. Lots of money!
I’ve had a proven winner Duromax 440 that is slightly modified.
Most all new 6 passenger carts use a Kawasaki engine rated at 13 hp. The Duromax (Honda GX 390 clone) is rated at 18. With a couple mods you can get a very dependable 20-25 HP. I built a golf cart last fall ( old crippled men rule) and it’s way over powered with that big block Duromax. So it goes in the golf cart.

IMG_0234.jpeg

Bigbob

It’s got a 20 amp alternator off a lawn tractor. I’ll go 40 amp or more Delco. Those little permanent lawn tractor alternators are nice, but colicky clacks noisy. I’ll build my own engine cradle. I’m am thinking of keeping my dialed in Comet 40 series torque converter and use a #50 chain to the transaxle. That way I can gear up or down via sprocket changes.

Bigbob

Question. The transaxle I got seems to have a 17-1 gear ratio forward and reverse. Does this sound right? Seems sort of low.

Bigbob

img_1943-jpeg.12653

More stupid questions!

Look at the above pic. Which is the front or rear? I am assuming we are looking at the rear? Does it matter which way it sits? The gear ratio in reverse is the same as forward. Does it make a difference which way I mount it? I'll need to weld on a spring bolt plate.

BTW, this thing appears to have a 17:1 gear ratio.

guitarman

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
With your Duramax sitting in front of it the drive would be on the left (I think) so that should be the front you are looking at.

guitarman

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I have a feeling you are a good fabricator. And you are going to have to be to pull that thing off. Looking good so far.👍

Bigbob

With your Duramax sitting in front of it the drive would be on the left(I think) so that should be the front you are looking at.
I think you are right.
The engine would be in backwards. The gear ratio is the same either direction the shaft turns.
There is an advantage with the engine in backwards. The distance from the center of the crankshaft to the valve cover is longer than distance from the crank to the “bottom “ of the engine. Shorter belt.

Bigbob

Got it striped down. Put the 6” lift kit on. 23” tires. I got a couple rust spots to fix. I’m going to add a second 1”X2” rectangle tube to each side. This is a long cart and the main frame rails are pretty flimsy.

IMG_2006.jpeg

Bigbob

I got the transaxle mounted. It’s a EZGO unit which is new. Got a deal on it from eBay. It was a “blemish” as it got wet. Had some surface rust. I took it apart to check the guts. No water got in.
IMG_2007.jpeg

Bigbob

Got my driven clutch today. The Ezgo/Fuji transaxle has a tapered shaft. Clutch seems to fit fine on it.
What size bolt do I need to hold it in?
And how do I remove the clutch if need be? I see clutch removal bolts but don’t understand it.

Bigbob

With your Duramax sitting in front of it the drive would be on the left (I think) so that should be the front you are looking at.
I mounted the engine in with the drive on the passenger side. Pretty sure that was the only way it'd work. Now I have an issue I can't seem to resolve. It is geared way too low. Can't find a high speed gear for this Fuji transaxle. They have them for 2015 up, but not the 2008-2014 models. I may be forced to get a different transaxle.

Zman

Cartaholic
Most carts are 14 to 1, never heard of a 17 to 1. Are you sure reverse is not lower than forward? You can buy 8 to 1 and 6 to 1 gear sets.

Bigbob

Most carts are 14 to 1 , never heard of a 17 to 1 are you sure reverse is not lower than forward? you can buy 8to1 and 6to1 gear sets.
Where? I want to buy but it seems nobody has kits for the 2008-2014 Fuji Transaxles.
I checked the gear ratio on my work bench at least 5 times. It has the same ratio forward or reverse. At that ratio is approximately 17-1. Checking the ratio on an open diff can be difficult. Getting to 25 mph pushes my engine to 5K rpm.