YIKES! there's a SPIKE! (two wire diagrams-different?)

dougrock

Hi ya all! I've been readin'...and studyin' the wire diagrams. Little bit of confusion ... I got this cart and the history is not great. Before I got it, it has had a new Electrical Component Box put in...cuz the other one burned up!! (makes ya go umm??) Someone put a new box in and supposedly fix and put new solenoid in...(I ask myself...well did they figure out what caused the burn up?) Anyhoots, here I am...the solenoid has burned up again. Now I'm saying to myself...somebody's missing the real cause-issue of all this. So, I bought a new solenoid, put it on. hooked it up the way they had it...got it running...got the tester out and I was already gettin' spikes! Ok, so I printed out a color diagram of the wires and traced them all to where they should go. In the course of all this I found the ground not hooked up from the voltage regulator and it smelled burnt, so without out hesitation I replaced the Volt Reg. Ok so now we have nice new solenoid and volt reg hooked up right according to the color wire diagram. As I triple check all the wires to where they go...I find that the diode that goes across from the small terminals is missing! I read that along with volt reg they both are anti-spike helpers. So..I order the missing diode and put it on properly as showed in the color wire diagram, Orange wire on solenoid-hot- diode "band" side. then the blue wire on solenoid(goes to ign switch) is the other end of the diode. The diodes purpose is to be "one way" and to protect other components. Well, I put that on as exactly shown. Hook bat up... turn key, press gas pedal....and NOTHING! So I take off the Orange side of diode and cart starts up! WHA!? So, it's acting like perhaps I have a bad ign switch? I also find it interesting that when tried in reverse, the buzzer is not heard...umm??
So then what do I do? I wanted to find a wire diagram that included the RPM limiter into the picture of wires where as the color diagram does not. What do I find? I put in 2002 DS Club Car wire diagram for google...and I come up with a 234page PDF and section 6G I find an awesome wire diagram! The problem? LOL, it does NOT show that there's a diode needed across the small terms of the solenoid...and the big wires(white and red) that are hooked to the solenoid are opposite of what the color diagram shows...but that should not matter right? On this cart, the wires are put on as this pdf shows! so I'm gonna leave that alone...but huh? why not show a diode on the small terms? The mass majority of wire diagrams we find on the net....are like the color diagram...showing a must have diode...?? huh?

Most people would say.....walk away...you got it running and that's good enough. I'm just not comfortable here. I feel I do not want to miss something that's been causing someone else headaches...perhaps they and myself are overlooking something simple here? I'd like to avoid another burn up by all means. I've got this "itch" that I should replace the ign switch. But, I'm a guy that likes to take out the testers and find the exact part that's not working or causing a problem, instead of throwing parts until problem solved. Anyone have any thoughts here? BTW, not that it matters, I've taken all ground contacts and cleaned them so that ground is good...I did that after finding the black ground wire not hooked up to the micro switch from the volt reg. I've seen in the past where bad ground connections have caused issues...so while I'm in there...I cleaned the connections!! Anyhow, sorry for the long post, but, thought I need to provide the "did's" before someone can help with an idea where I should go...anyway can I "test" the ign switch?(or is it one of those things...just spend the 20$ and put a new one in?)

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANYONE's HELP!

cartmaster

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Your solenoids are probably burning up because they are not rated for constant use. Buy them from a reputable dealer and forget the cheap Chinese chinesuim stuff.

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Well I read the whole thing not sure I understand any of it what makes you think the ignition switch is bad

Diode

As far as the diode goes the band on the diode goes to the positive terminal the colors mean nothing unless you can prove them correct

dougrock

Your solenoids are probably burning up because they are not rated for constant use. Buy them from a reputable dealer and forget the cheap Chinese chinesuim stuff.
Thank you, but actually the past solenoid that burnt up was a Club Car one...said right on it. The one I have on now is a dealer one...It appears to be working, however, it will not work with the diode...and yes I have that hooked up correctly according to the popular color diagram provided by all 3 forums. My question is why does the color wire diagram...differ from the PDF one that looks like a dealer/owner diagram? Also, I think I found why the past solenoid burnt up was due to the voltage regulator spike...but then if you read more...if the solenoid does not have a diode.....that too is a spike protector......I find it funny...with it hooked up right....that it will not work or allow the car t to start. So...do I listen to all the links provided by forum posters...the color wire diagram...showing a diode...or the PDF that does NOT show one in use..?

dougrock

Well I read the whole thing not sure I understand any of it what makes you think the ignition switch is bad
Thank you for reading the whole thing. I know it's alot...but there's alot going on...along with my thoughts. The reason my thinking is the ignition is bad...is because I hooked up the diode on the solenoid......EXACTLY ...how the color wire diagram..provided by 3 different forums...and with it hooked up the right way..."band side of diode on orange"..and other side on blue(that happens to go to ignition) Another reason is...is it is what's known as a "one way diode"...it will not allow "spike" or current to go the other way...but when it's hooked up properly as shown and told by thousands...I'm thinking that the ignition (blue wire) has an "open" that's not supposed to be??????????? Then when I went to see if I could find other wire diagrams to be sure they the same year...and the same set up...I find the PDF one that shows NO diode on the solenoid!! So now more questions than answers....

dougrock

As far as the diode goes the band on the diode goes to the positive terminal the colors mean nothing unless you can prove them correct
Thank you...Yes, I did some extensive reading...and you are right...the band side of the diode goes on the small positive terminal..that happens to be shown and told by this popular color wire diagram in many forums and convo's..and in my case it's the orange small wire that is positive and the other side is the ignition and that wire happens to be blue... So...I did as told...hooked the diode band side to orange and the other side to blue......and it will NOT WORK- start the cart, unless I take it off the solenoid on the band-orange side. I then looked for a more intensive wire diagram..that included the RPM limiter in the picture...and I found one! and it's a really good PDF link for my year...but to confuse things...this PDF link wire diagram did NOT have or show a diode on the solenoid!...?????????????????????? ohh, and to satisfy your comment...on "colors mean nothing"...I followed all wires to where they came from...and in this case the orange wire comes from the positive source.. however if you want to get technical...the blue wire that comes from the ign switch..."once it's turned on" could also be considered a Positive source too.. But...I've followed this popular major ....massive...provided link by millions...the color wire diagram...and according to that...I've hooked up this diode correctly...and it did not allow the cart to be started. you are right...colors mean nothing...unless you follow them and know what they are coming from...then the "color" just becomes a "reference".... but again....I traced it back...and it comes from the positive source shown on the wire diagram, so I hooked up as shown!!!--correctly according to that major popular wire diagram that everyone is using...so...that is why I'm here...so far no one has answers...as to why this cart will not start with a diode hooked up correctly...this is why I'm asking questions...and it's why I wonder if I have an "open" or bad ign switch...or......the popular massive used color wire diagram is WRONG...you'd think someone would have said something by now..?? Let's remember...this is not all on me....except I have to figure it out... this cart...before I got it...has burnt up twice ...something is being overlooked...and I want to make sure I AM NOT the one also overlooking something. In my deep research...I've learned that the voltage regulator...when not working can cause a spike...due to the generator/starter can throw up to 18 unwanted volts...but I feel I've got that fixed and figured out...that's the one that can actually blow battery cells. As I speak here...the cart is running(with the diode not connected)...and the meter is showing a nice charge,,no spike like before,, at 13 to14 volts...but now we need to get back to the diode topic...that protects spikes too....some spikes can be upto 150volts with a non working diode! according to a write up I read...so folks...I'm trying to do right by this cart....and put parts in that belong and are hooked up right.. Thanks for your help..but we are still unanswered as of right now... The diode mystery....and the "what is the right" wire diagram mystery.

Diode

We also need a picture of what you're calling a diode and if that doesn't work you can get a 75 volt mov metal oxide veristor. And frankly there's no way a diode won't work.
Go to jameco.com they might have both of those items

dougrock

I'm going to try to attach links here of the popular massive used color wire diagram used in many forums and sites on line... then the PDF wire diagram....

The first link is the "color wire diagram" Second is the Pdf one... If you where to study them side by side you would find 7 things that are NOT the same....do you see what they are? so?? what one would you use or trust?

it's kinda like a person asking you...what dog food you recommend...and the answer is cat's like meow mix the best.....

dougrock

We also need a picture of what you're calling a diode and if that doesn't work you can get a 75 volt mov metal oxide veristor. And frankly there's no way a diode won't work.
Go to jameco.com they might have both of those items
lol, ESP minds thinking alike...yes, if you look at the first link I provided of the "color wire diagram"...you will see the diode that is being used and the way "they" put it in with "band" on the positive terminal(orange wire in this case)...again..I followed this wire diagram to the "T" and with the diode put on correctly ...according to this wire diagram...the cart will NOT start with the diode put on, I have to disconnect one side(I did the orange wire side) and soon as I did that...the cart started and ran.

Diode

Also you better check your fuses it should have blown a fuse if it didn't then you have the wrong one your diodes probably shorted

dougrock

Well I may be seeing something wrong but the orange isn't hot the blue is your hot side
YES!...I wanted somebody to say that...but...I was following the major popular ...supposed to be correct wire diagram... it's funny any of the read ups I looked at said "hot" but I was like...what one.... the orange one that's hot all the time...or the blue one that becomes "hot" when the key is turned on...I read how I can check the diode to make sure I didn't blow it hooking it up as I was told and shown.....by following ohm testing directions... as for the fuse, I've checked it all through all this tryin' to figure out things..so far it's held it's own...it's not been blown. This is why I looked for other wire diagrams for this year to try and see if the color diagram was right or the same as others...lol...can't make this stuff up...but the only one I find does not show a diode at all!!! go figure... I'm going to check the diode...if it's still good..I'll put it on the other way... wish I could find another wire diagram that proves this popular color one wrong!!

Diode

How to check the direction of the diode
Connect the voltmeter to the two small terminals with the diode disconnected actuate the solenoid turning it on stepping on the pedal if the meter shows negative 48 volts then the black wire of the meter leads is hot if it shows positive 48 volts then the red lead is hot that's where the band will go to the hot lead this goes for any solenoid electric carts or gas carts but the voltage on a gas cart will be 12 volts

cartmaster

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
My take so far is that unless I missed it, we do not know what year your cart was produced. Clarify that and we can determine the correct schematic to use. Also, bear in mind, I am In the UK so I sleep when you guys are awake. When I get to work I will look at the diagrams to see what I can suggest. My guess is the diode is not required but do not yet see why installing it stops the cart running.
And Diode is correct in that the blue wire is hot in the colour diagram.

cartmaster

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
And to answer your question about which diagram to trust, definitely the one in the PDF OEM manual if it relates to the year of your cart.

cartmaster

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
This is the diagram i work from. NO Diode!!!!!!!!!! and I can honestly say i have never seen a diode across a solenoid on a gas cart as yet. And I have found errors on the site you got the color diagram from before. I am also thinking that your solenoid burning up may have just been a poor ground. Low volts from a high resistance = high amps drawn

CC GAS EWD.jpg