Yamaha won't shut off

bostonbob

I have a 2001 Yamaha golf cart it will not shut off I have to get a pair of Hose pinching pliers and it takes about two minutes for the fuel to deplete any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Does it start normally by pressing the gas pedal? I'd check that the throttle is closing all the way and the gas pedal is returning all the way when you take your foot off of it.

bostonbob

I checked nothing blocking the full return of the pedal. I tried lifting it back with my foot and still won't shut off.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
So it starts like it should when you press the throttle? Check to make sure the carburetor is closing all the way.

glennster

i am having the same problem with my 2002 cart. check the wiring harness plug at the front lower of the engine. one wire is grounded to the engine block and the other goes inside the engine. mine was pulling one of the wires out of theconnector, and if you slide the wire back in , the engine would shut off. i snagged the wireagain, but this time the engine will not shut off. i did replace the plug, but that did not help. there is a relay in the electrical box by the battery, remove the bolt at the top and the cover lifts off. there is a voltage regulator in there, a solenoid and the relay.

glennster

bob, i have still been researching the problem of engine not shutting off. i talked to a retired mechanic that is now working on golf carts. he said to unplug the harness coming out of the engine, the two wire one , and ground the wire coming out of the engine shroud. the engine should stop. if it doesnt, that wire has pulled loose inside the engine. you will need to remove the gas tank and engine shroud to fix it. i hope this helps. i checked my cart and that is what happened. i am going to put some kind of shield under there to stop twigs from snagging the wire harness.