Yamaha Golf Cart Problem Since Towing With Switch In Run Position

pjmia96

I've been having a problem with my Yamaha electric golf cart since we towed it with the run tow switch in the run position. First it would run and slow down and sometimes I would be able to floor it and it would buck and get up to speed and it would stop so when it would would randomly stop I would flip the tow/run switch up and down and put it back on run and it would run fine for a while. Then it would only run in reverse if I flipped the tow switch up and down.then it would just click and not move. We replaced the controller with a general electric controller that works with G19s. The solenoid tests good but now you have to flip the tow switch up and down in a sequence for it to click if I don't flip it up and down and put it back on tow at the right time it wont click. It will click once if I do it right. One month back when it would suddenly die the BRAND NEW Batteries died and it came to a dead stop but when we towed it we did not flip the switch on tow, we had it on run when towing. Every terminal on the solenoid tests 50 volts when you turn the key on or off or push the gas it wont decrease or increase. When the switch is on Tow it drops down to 2 volts. PLEASE Help Ive been dealing with this since the beginning of August. We also replaced the accelerator stop switch.

As I have said before New Batteries, Solenoid is good, new General electric controller comparable with my G19, We also replaced the accelerator stop switch.

My Last guess is bad Motor.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to the forum.

If you towed the cart with the run tow in the run position there's a good chance you hurt the motor. I'd test the motor and go from there.

pjmia96

I'm not near the motor to sniff it but when I was in my shop a few times when I was walking around I could not smell anything. But the symptoms I described sound like the motor slowly dying.

pjmia96

I'm not near the motor to sniff it but when I was in my shop a few times when I was walking around I could not smell anything.But the symptoms I discribed sound like the motor slowly dieing.

What do you think?
is there a way to test it?
Can I fix it myself?

pjmia96

Thanks I will test the Motor sometime.I looked that kind of motor up online and they cost a lot of money.By the way my cart is a G22 not a G19.Do you think I could open the motor and fix it myself is it fixable? OR Do you know a safe website that I could order a cheap used working motor for my G22.

Thanks,

Matt.

dougmcp

I doubt you can fix the motor yourself. There are rewinders that will fix you motor or even rewind for more speed/torque etc for less than $250. Check with our sponsor D&D to see what he may have to offer.