Yamaha G9 Starting Issue

wornslick

I own a 1992 Yamaha G9 golf cart that I have been having starting issues with. When I press the gas pedal I hear a clicking sound and the engine starts and the cart runs great, but sometimes I press the gas pedal and hear no clicking sound and the cart will not start for a few seconds then it will start and run fine. We were using the cart around the house for landscaping and it did it and would not start. I twisted the battery cable and the cart started so I took both battery cables off and cleaned everything but it still sometimes has the hesitation in starting. I have had the clutches replaced along with the belts when the cart failed to pull us up the hill at my local course. After reading some posted comments here I think it might be the solenoid but I am not sure. I am waiting on my local Yamaha dealer who has a 2008 Yamaha for sale I am going to look at and when I told them about my cart they mentioned if I did trade it in they may have to replace the starter at a cost of $300.00. Not sure if I am going to trade it or not, the cart runs fine when it runs but I don't like it when I press on the pedal and nothing happens. Any thoughts would be appreciated Thanks,

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
It could be the solenoid causing the golf cart to not start but it sounds more like a bad connection some where. Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

wornslick

Thanks HotRodCarts, so since I have never worked on a golf cart, what would be the best way to tackle this, just start checking the wires where they attach to wherever they go? Or, maybe I just should take it to a professional. LOL

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Check the connections at both ends on wires/cables on the battery, solenoid, starter generator and any plug connectors.