Yamaha G29 Slow Top Speed

Racngrn

Hello all. I am new to the forum and relatively new to golf carts. I bought a 2014 Yamaha G29 electric golf cart to use at our place in Estero , Florida. Retirement community riding and some golf use. The batteries appear to be original Trojans. They charge fully and hold the charge for a long period of time without use ( months). At full charge, they measure about 52V ( its a 48V cart). I installed a battery meter which also shows a very slow degradation of voltage with use. My issue is that top speed is slow via hand held GPS it's only about 8mph. Seems that I should expect closer to 10-11 based on manual and other research I have done. Perhaps even a little higher. I did replace the speed sensor, but no change. pedal response seems normal in that it increases across the range of depression.

Could this still be batteries? I hate to drop a grand on batteries and not get any speed benefit. I'k=ll obviously need them at some point soon, but holding off if they still hold a charge well. Anything else I can do? Really appreciate your help IMG_0509.JPG

Ac921ol

Test each battery individually, and see if any are horrible condition, but with 52v your pretty spot on. Maybe gps speedometer is off.
On my 2008 g29 I get about 11-12mph

I’d spend the money on something else to get speed depending how the batteries come back.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
A Yamaha dealer can set the stock controller on a G29 to PTV mode with a code from Yamaha and the golf cart will run 19 MPH. I'm not sure what Yamaha charges to program the controller but I'd check with a dealer and find out. Some Yamaha dealers may tell you the golf cart needs to be street legal to get the PTV code but I know people that got their controllers programed without the cart being street legal. Like @Ac921ol mentioned you may want to test the batteries before doing anything. Welcome to Cartaholics Golf Cart Forum. :hattip:

Racngrn

Thanks . I contacted the local dealer and they can perform that upgrade at our condo . Not too bad - $190 for the PTV code and another $100 for the actual service call. Probably get the rear end fluid checked at that time as well. Really appreciate the help.
That is all the speed I need in the community and will be a game changer!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Did they ask you for the serial number of you golf cart? They need it so they can call Yamaha and get the PTV code for your cart from Yamaha. Let us know how it runs after they program the controller.

Racngrn

They indicated that they would get that when the tech was onsite. Definitely needed to obtain the code from Yamaha. Hoping for the best.

Racngrn

Update. Tech came and downloaded the speed code that now allows cart to run up to 19mph. Pretty pleased with that and the price was also nice at $190. Wheels and tires next. Thanks for the help.

Racngrn

Hi gang. my wife and daughter were out in the cart yesterday and were on a tour of the community . The cart runs great with the speed code and hasn't shown any issues for our regular short jaunts to the pool, etc. About 30 mins into the ride the cart died. Wouldn't do anything. Battery gauge showed 1/2 power. I know batteries are due to be replaced , but it stopped and was done. Towed back to condo. My buddy told me the motor was very hot. After a few hours, I asked her to see if it would operate and it did as normal. Any thoughts before I get a technician to come out to look at it? We've gone on these longer rides before the speed code was downloaded without incident. Wonder if that is the issue? Thanks for any help you can offer. Stuck up here in Maine so can't put eyes on it.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I replied in your new thread but will copy and past it here to avoid confusion.

Did they flip the run tow switch to the tow position before towing it? The stock controller should be able to handle the PVT code with no problem unless there's a problem with the controller itself. I would look at and check ALL the cable connections to make sure the cables and connection are good and tight. A bad cable or connection will cause heat.