Yamaha G2 Stretch Project

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I decided to start a stretch project. I had some spare time today and extra metal laying around so I stretched my Yamaha G2. :D The front seat is still under construction.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I finished installing the center pod. I can't believe how nice it actually turned out. LOL Now I need to work on the lift kit, tires oh and maybe even a big block.

Man I'm pumped about this now! I can't wait to start on it for real.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
BRRRRRRR its cold out there this morning. Here you go Gorno, a picture of the other side.

Plans for this cart is a 23hp Briggs, maybe a stretch if I can find a pod off a donor cart, 14" lift with long travel air shocks. 31x11x15 Super Swamper TSL's.

Does anybody know if a 6" wide wheel is enough for 11" wide tires?

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I've been busy working on my new project this week. Here are a few pics of the build so far. I'm going to work hard on it today and hopefully get it running for a ride tomorrow. Some plans have changed. Instead of big blocking it I went with a 383cc "Honda" from Harbor Freight. I finished building the motor mount and painted it today. Next I have to fab drop brackets for the front of the the swing arm that lowers it 3.5" and moves it back 3". I still need to make risers for the tie rods, install the engine/rear end assy, cables, ignition wiring, finish gussets and paint the front end, buy the air shocks, finish building and paint the bed and the list goes on.
Anyway, the tear down begins..
I wanted to turn this into a utility cart, so I removed the rear body and built a flat bed frame.

The next project to tackle was the suspension.
My goal was an 8" drop, moved 3" foward and 6" wider. I used 2" square tubing 11ga. for the drop sub frame. I'm going to use air shocks for a 1970 Chevelle on both the front and rear of the cart. These shocks are twice the length of the stock G2 coilovers thus giving it more travel and a much smoother ride.

Breaking in the new chop saw. I love it!! I'm use to cutting metal with only the angle grinder. Angle grinders are handy and all but it's almost impossible to get a straight cut on a 4 sided tube with one.

I had planned on mounting the control arms by sliding them into the 2" square tubing. Turned out that the ID of the tube was not enough. In order to make this work I welded 1/4" flat bar on the sides of the tube and the arms fit perfectly now. Later on, I boxed in the top of the flat bars for strength and then ground down the welds to make it look like it is 1 piece. I need to go back and weld in gussets over those before calling it finished.
And there it is on 26" Mudlites. It doesn't look quite right with the narrow 10" tires up front. I'm probably going with 25x12x12 Swamplites all around. The cool thing about this suspension setup is down the road sometime the stock control arms can be swaped out with Jakes 6" lower arms.

I'm still working on adding more gussets and need to build the winch mount. Also on the top portion of the lift I''m going to weld in a 2.5" angle to cover the square tubing holes. This might be where I end up mounting the winch.
The tie rods were too short so I had to cut and weld in extensions.

Last but not least, the 13hp engine. Yes I know, China and Honda. :D But honestly, I don't see these as bad engines for the price. I picked this one up at Harbor Freight and it actually has a 2 year full replacement warranty. They might not be able to compete with a big block but they really do have decent torque and are quick reving, speedy little things. I use to have one in my Arctic Cart for a short time and dayumn I was impressed. It was very reliable, starts good everytime and runs strong. Also has plenty of power to do donuts in the grass.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Thanks HRC and Matt. :D

Today I finished installing the Gabriel air shocks on the front end, welded the longer tie rods, made the tie rod risers, installed new f/r, acc. cables, mounted the engine and slid the assembly in place. The motor mounting went together almost to easy. I need to cut a hinged door into the bed that will allow access to the air filter. Other than that there weren't any clearance issues with the motor. The tires, however, were crammed to far foward into the body. I made a new cross member for the swing arm that I'll move 5 1/2" back lengthing the wheel base.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Hey I just went for a test ride!!! I am SOOOO happy with this little 13hp engine. It started right up the first time and spun those 26" Mudlites like they weren't even there. To be honest this engine feels more peppy than the 27hp Kawasaki. I'll get ya some vids soon!! The lift turned out awesome!! It sits really wide in the front like the long travels and the Gabriel Highjackers are just sweet riding!! It's rainy and cold out but I think I'm going for another ride.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
I think I'm going to hang on to them incase the air shocks blow out in the middle of nowhere. I'll let you know if I decide to let them go.

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Just some updates on the Yamaha build.

Making the motor mounts out of 2'' 11ga tubing.

Engine mounted, fits nice with no clearance issues.

Notice how the engine sits level while the swing arm is still at a steep angle for max ground clearance.

Next thing is to stretch the wheel base by moving the rear axle back with a new cross member.

The Gabriel Highjackers

ACEGOLFCARTGUY

Cartaholic
Here are some pictures from todays ride. I hope there's no such thing as a "break in period" for this engine because I showed no mercy while hammering on it for hours today in the mud!! I was blown away at how much power it has and how well it performs. That little Chinese engine has the power to slam you back into the seat even with those 26" mudders.
The fast revving "honda", the suspension that just soaks up any rough terrain and only being $700 down makes the fun factor for this thing pretty incredible.

I know these 13hp Chinese engines have received a lot of critisism but I'm determined to see how they really do. I had one of these engines in another cart for a short time and was amazed by it back then. So far this seems to be my most reliable engine yet. I'll keep everyone updated on how this engine holds up as I get more miles on it.

I'll try and post some vids if I can get them on here. I think this cart definately feels faster than my 27hp Workhorse.