Yamaha G2 Overcharging

fredwho

I have replaced s/generator and voltage regulator 3 times on a Yamaha G2. Checked the wiring and it still charges at 16 volts. No grounded wires. It seems to charge normally for a while if I discharge the battery somewhat. Then right back to 16volts.

fredwho

I have replaced s/generator and voltage regulator 3 times on a Yamaha G2. Checked the wiring and it still charges at 16 volts. No grounded wires. It seems to charge normally for a while if I discharge the battery somewhat. Then right back to 16volts.

Also, I tried leaving headlights on to lower the 16v charge and it blew both bulbs

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You must have a wire from the voltage regulator grounding out somewhere. That's were I'd start looking. Where are you buying the starter generators and voltage regulators?

fredwho

Hi, and thanks for checking in on this! I have traced all of the wires and none seem to be grounded or open. I have tried 3 VR’s including the original makes 4. The last is a voltage regulator/rectifier rated at 4 1/2 stars. All from Amazon. I also replaced the solenoid because I see a extra wire from the positive cable that looks like it could back feed.
Another odd thing is it acts normal until the battery is charged, then it spikes.

fredwho

I do have a huge battery, I’ll replace it this afternoon. Maybe it’s too big for the system.
Thanks so much for taking time out to get involved. 👍(I’ll let you know)