Yamaha G16A Starving for Fuel

wrmyers3

Hi All,
I am having trouble with the fuel system on my Yamaha G16 golf cart. It all started with the fitting breaking on the fuel tank pick up tube. I replaced the tube and then the engine would not get up to full speed as if starving for fuel. I have since replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, rebuilt the carburator and replaced all gas lines. All components are connected correctly. The cart still is starved for fuel. I have removed the line from the fuel pump to the carburetor and it appears as though there is plenty of fuel. One thing I have noticed is that the new fuel filter never fills with gas even though it is properly installed. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to Cartaholics.

Make sure you have a good seal on the air cleaner box and all connections. Make sure the plastic spacer on the crab mount isn't cracked.

wrmyers3

I have completely gone through the system again. I put a new filter on just in case the other
was bad. I have found no obvious problems. I suspect the new fuel pump as the filter will not fill up. When I disconnect the fuel line at the carb. and run the starter I get fuel, but
it is not a hugh amount. How much fuel should I expect will come from the fuel pump?
Any help you can give will be appreciated.
Thanks
Bill

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Not much gas will pump from the line when you unhook it and crank the engine. The filter won't fill completely with gas so that sounds normal, as long as it's pumps when the line is disconnected. If you're sure you have no air leaks I'd pull the float bowl and have a look. Maybe some dirt got in the carb after you cleaned it. Yamaha's won't run right if the air box lid is not sealed properly.

wrmyers3

Today I completely disassambled the carb and cleaned it again. I just don't understand why
it will run on starterfluid and not gas. It will fire a little if I keep the accellerator on just a little.
When I tr to speed up it will not fire at all.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I didn't realize it wasn't running. In your original post you said it wouldn't run at full speed. Are you sure the pick up tube is installed correctly? Are all the fuel lines in good shape (no cracks)? Was it running okay before the pickup tube broke?

wrmyers3

The cart was running just fine before the pick up tube broke. I replaced it (actually the plastic piece on the top of the tank broke) I measured from the top of the tank to the bottom and cut
the tube off about 3/8 shorter. I checked that again yesterday and it appears to be correct. I have replaced all rubber hoses with E10 gas lines. I can't find any air leaks anywhere in the induction system.
Bill

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I'd go over everything you worked on or replaced. If the cart was running fine before the pickup tube broke then the problem is something that was worked on. Maybe the new pickup is sucking air at the gas tank connection.