Yamaha G16 with New D&D High Torque Motor and Controller

FHC cabin boy

I have a Yamaha G16 with new D&D high torque motor and controller. The cart runs great for 5 minutes. Then shuts down. The wires behind the seat attached to the item in the picture are extremely hot. You can see in the picture that the terminal covers are melting. After the cart sits for a while it will run again. The new motor and controller were wired up by a cart dealer near me. They had a bunch of issues getting it run. They obviously didn’t get it correct.

Attachments

• 66BC9569-D594-4421-B7B6-3A127D8A6660.jpeg
    66BC9569-D594-4421-B7B6-3A127D8A6660.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 9

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
That's the forward and reverse switch and it needs to be replaced. You should also be using good 4 gauge or larger cables with the D&D high torque motor. Welcome to the forum.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
I've never seen a heavy duty forward and reverse switch for a electric Yamaha G16 so the stock replacement should be fine. You need to upgrade all the cables when you get the new switch or you'll wind up having the same problem.

Zman

Cartaholic
Buy a solenoid kit and get rid of the plastic f&r switch, it is only going to fail again. They sell these in a kit form with a diode and mounting bracket, I done a few of them and they handle the extra amp load fine. I had a customer melt 2 new plastic switches before i convinced him to convert.

Attachments

• 50822.jpg
    50822.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 50821.jpg
    50821.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 5082.jpg
    5082.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 12

FHC cabin boy

Thanks Zman, I looked on Golf cart king. I can find the switch assembly but I can not find the parts in the attachments that you sent. Would you possibly be able to give me some more details?

FHC cabin boy

So I can change the paddle lever on my F&R switch out for a toggle and solenoid? What is the part in attachment 3 called?

FHC cabin boy

So I have the new switch and solenoid installed. Now trying to wire them up, the connector on the end of my cable is too small for the new stud on the solenoid. Attached is a picture of my wire. How can I tell what gauge it is?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 6

FHC cabin boy

I am going to replace the wires with 4 gauge. Already ordered a kit with terminals and end covers. I know where each wire off the motor goes. Just have to figure out the switch wiring and I should be good to go