Yamaha G16 Starting Issue

recips

I have a 1998 G16 that I have had since new. A year ago it began having issues starting. After starting it will run flawlessly for as long as I want. I initially replaced everything in the fuel system (filter, lines, pump and all) but that had no effect and it continued to have starting issues. I replaced the ignition coil after that and still the same issue. What happens is when I depress the gas pedal normally the starter will turn over but the engine will not start. If I barely depress the gas pedal (and I mean just barely) to where the starter turns and hold the pedal right there the engine will start and run as long as I want. Sometimes I have to go through the procedure a few times just to get it to start. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Have you cleaned the carburetor? Also make sure the air filter box is sealed good everywhere. Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

recips

Thanks! I did not clean the carburetor but did inspect it when I changed all the fuel system components. It looked very clean but I could run some sea foam through it the next time I fill it up. As far as the air cleaner i will take a look at it and make sure that it is in order. I will report back and let you know what i find.

golfcar2000

Cartaholic
Another common problem I have seen on them is the gas tank straw will separate from the 90 degree fitting at the top of the tank and allow it to suck air instead of gas.