Yamaha G16 Starter Generator

coachshalley

Have a Yamaha G16 gas golf cart with a possible starter generator issue. Sometimes battery will charge sometimes it will not. The cart does run without the 10 amp fuse in it. Wiring diagram shows a ground wire from fuse to starter is that correct. Have completely taken off and checked the entire wiring harness only broken wire was the buzzer wire fixed that. Was getting 16+ volts on charge sometimes now down to 14 volts. But not reliable.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
If it's showing 14 volts at the battery while the engine is running at half throttle or more it's charging. What do you meany by "not reliable"?
Welcome to Cartaholics Golf Cart Forum. :hattip:

coachshalley

It charging now but have had it charging before then it quits charging after a while. Also it runs without the fuse in it Think I have a ground issue somewhere

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
That's a hard one to diagnose without actually looking at the golf cart. I'd get the wiring diagram for a Yamaha G16 from the resource section of the forum and start checking the solenoid wiring and starter generator wiring.

Zman

Cartaholic
Sounds like someone has added a ground wire from engine to frame or battery and by passed the the fused ground. there are 2 wires down in front of motor low in cradle. one is the engine ground wire that runs along the front frame to the battery, the other one is the coil shut down wire. If there are any other grounds from motor to battery you may have a broken ground wire along the frame.

Zman

Cartaholic
Be careful and not run engine at high rpm until you find problem. I seen the throttle cable become the ground and weld itself causing no shut down of engine until you pull coil wire off spark plug

coachshalley

FYI I found the problem Starter brush wires were touching inside grounding out the starter now has proper charge and needs fuse to run