Yamaha G1 Turns Over But Not Starting

WallysWorld

Hello all, Just picked up a 1980 Yamaha G1 golf cart. It will turn over but it's not starting. I know it has spark, and so do my neighbors (that shock is something else.) The people I got it from ran a compression test on it and said it only had 15-20psi. In reading all the posts out here on this topic it seems as though I should replace the crank seals and the head gaskets. I was going to do the rings too while I have it open. I am not sure about if it is getting fuel, so I am going to get a rebuild kit for the carb and fuel pump as well. My question is where does everyone get their parts from. I have found a few sights but wanted to get some expert advice on this matter. Also any tips and tricks in the work I plan to get done.

thank you.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
You can get the parts from any of Cartaholics forum sponsors. I'd do another compression test holding the throttle wide open. If the previous owner didn't hold the throttle open it will show a low reading on compression. Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

WallysWorld

Awesome, thank you! I am not sure what they did, so I am kind of going into this as though I have no information. MY teens will be doing most of the work and getting it going so they have a "drives ed" machine. took them out the other day in my truck, long story short, I spent 650 bucks on a new drive shaft, so anything into the G1 will be good by me. :)

WallysWorld

ran a compression check last night and it is as low as I was told, got it up to 20psi! So I know for sure I will be doing a overhaul, gaskets, crank seals and more than likely rings while i have it open.

question as far as rings go, I see options for oversized rings but would think this would only be needed if the cylinder is bored out... would this also be the case if it worn out? Is the cylinder wall tapered? should there there be a pinch?

I was built small block Chevy's and have gone through many Remote Control car engines, and I think that these are very similar to the RC engine, but could be way off.

I have attached images of the compression reading, a few of the internals from my bore scope and then also the stamp on the block itself.

thank for you input!

Attachments

WallysWorld

You won't really know which rings you'll need until you get the engine apart and see how bad the cylinder is or if it already has been bored.
I have searched around and can't seem to find what the stock ring size / cylinder bore is? Might you be able to help me with this, so once it is apart I will know which direction to go.
thank you

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
The standard bore size on a Yamaha G1 is 2.677 with .011-.013 piston to wall clearance (std. bore 68.00mm - piston to wall clearance 0.03 - 0.035 mm).
If the piston is oversized it should be stamped.

Nubs

Cartaholic
That cylinder and piston look to be pretty bad from here, need to see it apart but this link is the way to go if your going to spend the time to get this running. Its a chunk of cash but by the time you get the cylinder bored and piston etc you'll be close to this cost. This place stands behind there parts and there application :twocents:

WallysWorld

Awesome Thanks Nubs, I have been looking at that setup on many other sites as well. As I have said earlier, if I spend less than 650 buck that the new drive shaft cost on my truck, it'll be a win in my book. I am into is for nothing right now, just the time to haul it to my house. I am planning to keep it around to use on my property too, so taking the time to do it right is fine by by me. I plan to tear it down this weekend, I have my boys stripping the parts off this week so I can get to the bare engine.

I have found this one, not sure the difference in the one you posted, or the quality of the customer service with this place too.
4556 Cylinder kit YA G1

Nubs

Cartaholic
I have not bought from them so i don't have a view, all i know is there are some really crappy imported kits out there. Not saying that place does not have quality parts:dazed:

WallysWorld

I've contacted buggies unlimited and they do have them in stock. In doing some searching I came across Plowman and there "performance" cylinder/piston and head work. Do you guys have any experience or knowledge on their stuff?

Nubs

Cartaholic
More then a few guys say they have good parts, i rather call a shop if i have a question then some call center:twocents:

WallysWorld

More then few guys say they have good parts, i rather call a shop if i have a question then some call center:twocents:
Are you saying that the Plowman shop is a call center or the opposite?

I really appreciate all your input and responses to my questions. My Boys are having a great time with this project, even doing their own research. I got home last night and they had a thread about a guy putting the Enticer 250 top end on the G1 bottom end... I am happy there are into hot rodding! hahahahha. As cool as that is, I think I want to be able to use the "stock" stuff...... for now.

They got the muffler off yesterday and it is Junk, is it worth is trying to unskin it saving the end caps and internals and reskining it? or just cough up the dough and get a new one?

Attachments

WallysWorld

Thanks for all the insight Nubs! I called Plowmans and Don is fantastic! He is a very busy man but took the time to go over a lot of things on these carts. I was on the phone with him for about 20 minutes discussing what i am looking to get out of this cart and options and his recommendations. After our conversation I dropped some coin with him, more than I wanted to spend, but I know that I wont have to go though this thing for many years now. Hoping to get the parts today so I can get the engine built this weekend.

I ended up get the G1 top end kit with the Head Mod, a jet kit, the crank seals from him as well as his muffler. Looking forward to spitting gravel as he put it. :thumbsup: