Yamaha G1 Rebuild

Ghg

I talked to a couple of people on this forum regarding the rebuild on my Yamaha G1. I’m having difficulty assembling the piston into the jug without damaging the rings. I tried sliding the jug over the rod and piston and also tried to assemble the jug and piston onto the rod. Are there any tricks to get this put together?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
A ring compressor is the safest way to do it without damaging the rings. I've used a hose clamp years ago on motorcycles before I had a small enough ring compressor.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
In the old days i would install the piston and rings from the bottom of the jug and set the whole thing over the rod and Slide the wrist pin in.
I always installed one of the clips before so i only had to fiddle with one over the block.

Make sure the piston is facing the right way:twocents:

Ghg

I believe it’s a screw down ring compressor like a band. It’s a small engine ring compressor made by lisle. It compresses 3 inches to 1 1/2. Is this the one I need to use?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I believe it’s a screw down ring compressor like a band. It’s a small engine ring compressor made by lisle. It compresses 3 inches to 1 1/2. Is this the one I need to use?
Yes, one end of the band has small spots where its notched out, That end sits on the cylinder or the way its in this pic. It needs to clamp fairly tight.
Should be a youtube video on how to tap the piston in:twocents:

11931871_ptl_w80573_pri_larg.jpg

Ghg

I want to thank everyone who took the time to give me advice on my rebuild. I have the engine back together but wont be for a week or two until I mount it back into the cart. I’ll gonna need some tips on the break in procedure, any need to prime the oil pump etc

Ghg

What is a recommended oil / fuel ratio for my Yamaha g1 if I decide to run a mixed gas on initial start up after rebuild? Is there a need to prime the oil pump or check to see if the pump works? The cart is new to me so I don’t know if the pump was working before I bought it. The cylinder and piston were toast when I got it

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I never run the oil injection pump on older 2 cycles cart engines, pre-mix and ya know what ya got.
If using Yamalube i would mix a gal (non ethanol) at 32:1 and run it for a bit and check the spark plug for color.
disconnect and plug intake line if you go that way.

Ghg

I don’t think I can get ethanol free gas in my area. can I get by with ethanol at 32:1? I still would like to have the oil pump working

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
All we can get here is 10% ethanol also so I use it. A lot of people run Stable all the time with the ethanol. I just add Stable in my motorcycles, mowers, generators, etc when they are sitting for the winter. I wish I could find gas around here without that crap in it.