Yamaha G1 Golf Cart Problem Starting In Reverse

vernon lunceford

I have a Yamaha G1 golf cart not sure of the year, 79-82 I think. The problem is starting in reverse it starts fine in forward but in reverse it sounds is if the battery is about dead. Do you think it's a solenoid or maybe something in the starter?

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Sorry you didn't get a answer on this but did you ever figure out the what the problem was? Welcome to the forum. :hattip:

Zman

Cartaholic
I would say your problem is in the reversing solenoid / solenoids. There are 2 of them together on the rear passenger fender area. They reverse the polarity on the starter. Look for bad connections and check for voltage drops when cranking. May have bad contacts internal. These are hard to find for replacement.

Davecrash

Having a similar problem with reverse, if I tap on the reverse solenoid it will work. Can't find an original part but there is a newer replacement one available. For some reason it says I have to replace both if I upgrade to the newer part. Don't understand why that is. I haven't seen a rebuild kit, didn't think that was possible.