Yamaha G1 Creeps Forward at Idle

Malibujoel

Hi All.
Is there an adjustment I can make to keep my Yamaha G1 golf cart from trying to creep forward when sitting at idle with no pressure on accelerator pedal?
Thanks in advance!

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Golf cart clutches aren't setup to allow the engine to idle although a lot of guys mod them for idling. I believe you need a stiffer clutch spring. Cartpartsplus.com use to carry the clutch springs. Also if both clutches aren't opening and closing all the way or the belt is to tight in can cause the cart to creep at a idle. Turning the idle down will help if you get it any lower.

Malibujoel

Thanks HotRodCarts! I will give look at the belt tension and drop idle a scosh. And also look into replacing clutch spring.

WallysWorld

The Yamaha G1 golf carts are not made to idle without any pressure on the throttle peddle due to the fact the engine needs to be off when switching from forward to reverse. as soon as you let off the peddle it should shut off. Mine will creep at a snails pace with the peddle just slightly pressed just to keep the engine running, but once i let off the engine stops. I do think I should have a little more rpm before it moves, but my clutches may be worn too.

Roger Shepard

Im having the same problem with my 89 model G2 with a predator 420cc. Did anyone figure out what to do? If the clutch would not try to close up all would be good... Surely there is something that can be done.... What is the theory behind these clutches.. What make them work the way they do? Im new so Im still learning....

guitarman

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Idling too fast, belt too tight(or wrong size belt)or clutches not working properly. It’s usually 1, or a combination of these factors.