Yamaha Electric Golf Cart with Bulging Batteries

TempeArtist

Howdy,
My 1982 Yamaha electric golf cart was delivered today and wow! does she have spunk! She has working lights, cigarette lighter socket, good tires, a little damage to the fiberglass which I'm familiar working on as I have a vintage fiberglass trailer. I didn't pay a lot for this golf cart and the gentleman told me the batteries hold a charge and work well. I also got a Lester charger in the deal.
So, it was a surprise when we opened the cart and I saw the batteries were bulging. The battery monitor showed a full charge, and the cart did well with the lights, speed, and so on.

The question is:
1. how quickly do I need to change these batteries? Can I use them for the next 6-8 weeks while I'm in Arizona without it be dangerous to charge?

2. I should also clean these, everything looks a mess under the hood. Any product I can spray on and clean with a cloth-wearing goggles and gloves, of course?

3. We plan to be in Arizona for another two months and all along I've been wondering how to maintain batteries when gone for the next 3-4 months. What do you do with the batteries when one leaves for a few months up to 4-5?

I am not totally unfamiliar with electric carts, I have a great Cushman in South Dakota that performs beautifully with older Trojan batteries that I tend to regularly. There, however, I have someone who plugs in the charger every month and checks the water levels regularly.

All your help would be so appreciated! Thanks!

dougmcp

Older batteries and ones that have been frozen or overcharged tend to bulge. I can't see the bulge and have no idea how severe it is. It likely won't hurt anything to continue to use these.

TempeArtist

Thanks for the quick reply, Dougmpc. I feel better taking her out and recharging her knowing this. Perhaps I can get this years use from them and replace them next year.

Appreciate the input, thank you.

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
Welcome to Cartaholics.

Like Doug said it's normal for the sides to bulge some as the batteries get older.

You can use something like Simple Green, 409, etc. Spray it on and rinse with a garden hose. Let the cart sit a while to dry. You can also use a mixture of baking soda and water to neutralize any acid that has gotten on the outside of the batteries and the battery rack. Be careful not to get any in the batteries.

Most deep cycle battery manufacturers recommend charging batteries every 30 days when not in use. Sitting without being charged for 4-5 months isn't good for them.

TempeArtist

Thank you, HotRodCarts for the advice and the welcome. It's a relief that I can use the cart with these batteries.

I shall get a spray bottle of Simple Green and give that a try. The inside is very dirty. I suppose I should try cleaning the terminals as well.

It is a problem when one leaves for territories north for 3-4 months. I wonder if anyone has come up with a solution...I suppose a neighbor to move the dial on the charger to 12 or so would be the trick.

Thanks, muchly,
TempeArtist

HotRodCarts

Cartaholic
No problem, your welcome.

I would take each cable off and clean the lugs and the battery terminals with a wire brush...