Yamaha Drive Battery Charger Lights Blinking?

Ralph III

Hello All,
I just purchased two used but like new 2019 Yamaha Drives and the 48 volt battery charger lights are blinking on one of them? Both golf carts came with a brand new set of deep cycle batteries supplied by the Yamaha dealership. It was part of a fleet lease. They check them over, clean them up, install new batteries, etc. I then had them install a tailgate and hitch so they can be used for gardening work.

Anyhow, I've had the golf carts for a week now and no issues at all. However, I noticed yesterday that one of the chargers "charging" and "charged" lights is simultaneously coming on and off about every five seconds? I tried the second charger on it and the same thing is occurring. So it has to be something with the golf cart.

Does anyone know what is causing this? Does the key have to be in the "off" position or something? I can call the dealership on Monday but I hoped to use it first thing in the morning. So I'd like to get it to charge today. The image is simply a depiction of the charger and not the actual charger, btw.

Thanks,
Ralph

Attachments

• .jpg
    .jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 2

Zman

Cartaholic
When they are blinking you are in a float charge mode. They will show a solid green light when fully charged

Ralph III

So this is normal? It was just clicking and light up on and off, on and off; every 5 seconds or so. The other golf cart was put on charge at the same time and it was showing fully "charged". They both were on charge for about 18hrs.

Thanks,
Ralph

Zman

Cartaholic
These chargers will go on and off if the batteries are really low. They will pulse a charge into batteries until a voltage is reached then they will turn on and charge normal. If all it does is on/off continually it has a problem inside and needs replaced. Chargers will not run past 16 hrs. The fact both chargers ran a long time would suggest your batteries are really low or do not want to accept a charge easily. How old are the batteries? Do you run then almost dead before charging them?

Ralph III

UPDATE!
I meant to update the thread so I apologize for being slow.

The charging wire wasn't making a good connection and that is why the charging lights were blinking and it was kicking on and off. They didn't crimp the lug sufficiently so the charging wire just pulled right out. It's all good now.

God Bless,
Ralph