Yamaha 3" Jakes Lift Kit Problems

swat49833

Just installed Jakes 3" lift on 2015 Yamaha G29 drive. GCK sent me p/n 6249-3 Jakes lift kit for electric and gas carts.
Here's my problem: Lost 7' of turning radius. Was 12' prior to installation, now 19' after 3" lift installed.
P-spindle is on the passengers side, and D-spindle is on drivers side. Steering links (rack) were installed from bottom to top as directed by the instructions.
The problem as I see is the spindles are contacting spindle bracket at nut below the bolt with no nut. (inner/lower). As is the rounded bolt head of the upper inner (the bolt with no nut) also contacts spindle frame bracket when turned all the way to right. I lost not quite a full revolution of steering in each direction cutting my turn radiuses from 12' up to 19' and I do not like it. Is this a common problem? I noticed the spindles are a lot fatter with the new lift as well as the steering rack bracket attached to the spindle is twice as wide AND the manufacturer has shaved the inner edges of the brackets because they were even worse before shaving.
Are most people just dealing with results?
Is there a different spindle lift I should get?
Do I have to go to the "A" arm lift to regain turn radius?
Anything helpful would be appreciated. GCK not open over the weekends so I will contact them mon. morning.

New guy here so sorry If this should have been in another thread or not but I didn't find any on the first few pages...

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Loosing turning radius is one the more common complaints of jake's lift, many if not all there lifts are Chinese imports now.

Welcome to the Forum:hattip::usa:

swat49833

So maybe check out different brand? Any suggestions of a brand that keeps my turn radius as close to original as possible? I will start looking into it mon morn. and report back as to what GCK suggest.
Nubs, thx for taking the time to answer my question. Wish they (GCK) would have told me that when I ordered as I have 2 more coming to me for the 2017 Drive 2's I have to lift still, same Jakes manufacturer but a different lift kit for the Drive 2's so we will see.

swat49833

Ok thx to you too HRC. Another question; Do you guys prefer the spindle lifts or the "A" arm lifts? Reasons why. Not so much worried about cost as I will be turning these carts to just keep me busy in my shop after going part time at work. New hobby with the golf carts.

swat49833

On my next cart purchases I will go with the "A" arm and see if turning radius will get better than the spindle lift.
Thanks for all the input and answers.

swat49833

I think you maybe right. Same as I have been thinking as most people will choose the easier labor lift system, so I was going to get an "A" arm lift next round of carts and see how that goes. Otherwise I will just modify my own lift system to keep the full turn radius.

jknorr57

The fix is put 3/4 offset wheels on front and 2.5/4.5 offset on the rear. Golf cart will turn like it always did. May need to trim the rear fenders at the bottom in front . No need to shave the spindle or get a different lift kit.

jknorr57

Just installed Jakes 3" lift on 2015 Yamaha G29 drive. GCK sent me p/n 6249-3 Jakes lift kit for electric and gas carts.
Here's my problem: Lost 7' of turning radius. Was 12' prior to installation, now 19' after 3" lift installed.
P-spindle is on the passengers side, and D-spindle is on drivers side. Steering links (rack) were installed from bottom to top as directed by the instructions.
The problem as I see is the spindles are contacting spindle bracket at nut below the bolt with no nut. (inner/lower). As is the rounded bolt head of the upper inner (the bolt with no nut) also contacts spindle frame bracket when turned all the way to right. I lost not quite a full revolution of steering in each direction cutting my turn radiuses from 12' up to 19' and I do not like it. Is this a common problem? I noticed the spindles are a lot fatter with the new lift as well as the steering rack bracket attached to the spindle is twice as wide AND the manufacturer has shaved the inner edges of the brackets because they were even worse before shaving.
Are most people just dealing with results?
Is there a different spindle lift I should get?
Do I have to go to the "A" arm lift to regain turn radius?
Anything helpful would be appreciated. GCK not open over the weekends so I will contact them mon. morning.

New guy here so sorry If this should have been in another thread or not but I didn't find any on the first few pages...
I had this problem i solved it by put a set of less off wheels on the front. 3/4 off set front 2.5/4.5 rear. With this wheel setup steering came back to normal. No need for different lift kit or rework of spindles.