Ya know what happens when.....??

DaveT

EZ-GO rebuilt from bottom up, 48-V, lifted with 22-11-10 ATV tires, TRACTION LOCKER
DIFFERENTIAL, ALLTRAX AXE4855 CONTROLLER, D&D HIGH TORQUE MOTOR.

Ok....those are "the facts" of the buggy.

But....up here in Pa. we had this darn snow storm that dumped over 2 feet of snow......then about 3 days later another one
rotflmao.gif
that dumped another 8".....followed by 6 days of little piddly 2" per day snow falls....and it never got above freezing to melt anything.

Yeah....we get snow 'n stuff....but right now we are only 5" away from the all time snow accumulation since records have been kept since 1874. So.....we have been gettin a lot of snow.

But back on point: Ya know what happens when you take your buggy out and get it stuck in a snow bank......."floor it" (electric remember) and the rear wheels (with ATV chains on 'em) spin down to the hard frozen ground and "grab" onto that same hard frozen ground?
Answer.........Well......thank goodness for those Alltrax 250amp inline fuses! EH?
yes.gif

Otherwise I'd be roastin hotdogs over a smokin controller!!! I called Alltrax and spoke with a very helpful tech guy. He told me to put the buggy up on jackstands (Safety always!!!) and using a #10 wire, jump the fuse connection. Then press the "gas" peddle and see if the rear wheels turn. This will check to see if it's not a motor issue. I did this and all is well.

So.....I ordered a fuse....plus a couple X-tra ones in case some dummy ever does this again.
dazed053.gif
I don't know who that dummy would be......I'm sure they would never fess up!!

Dave

JRay

Cartaholic
My neighbor just fried the vglide in his old beater 90 CC reistor cart again. deep snow and 22in. mudbusters got him again trying to go up a hill. Three winters = 3 vglides for him, never gonna learn. Now he's bitchin that the cart can't take it, getting expensive for him.
rotflmao.gif
Don't know what i am laughing about, i gotta fix it again.

wilster734

i saw somewhere once about overheating the wiring on the cart causing them to anneal and then they wont carry the same voltage/amperage anymore. was just curious if the wiring to your controller did this ?

DaveT

I suppose anything is possible. But the purpose of the Alltrax 250 amp fuse is to allow a surge of up to 400 amp's for something like 2 seconds, and then only 250 amps after that. So, if the motor is asking for more than 250 amp's of power for longer than 2 seconds, then the fuse blows, thus protecting the very issue you are asking about.

I believe in my case the motor was "hummin" and when it started getting traction, it was calling for a lot of juice for longer than the 2 second window would allow.

I would probably have been OK if this would have been a mud bog or something where I wasn't going from really slippery stuff to sudden hard (frozen turf) stuff.

Live 'n learn.

Dave