Workhorse Clutch Problems

dlh169north

I just replaced the driven clutch on my 1998 EZGO Workhorse cart but still having problems. It seems much more responsive on take off, but it still will not climb a hill. Should I replace the drive clutch also?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
What shape is the drive belt in, are you sure its the right length? what size tires are you running.

dlh169north

Drive belt is in good shape (extreme service belt.) Oversize knobby tires. As I was trying to get up the hill, lots of smoke from the belt slipping. I had the parts guy at the local EZ-GO dealer check the belt--- check out o.k. Tires= 20 x 10 x 8

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
That being said i would say the drive clutch is sticking at some point, do the clutches shift completely when in neutral or with the rear wheels off the ground? How steep is the hill your working with.

golfcar2000

Cartaholic
Which driven clutch did you put on? Most of the work horses have the 32 degree instead of the 28 degree on most cars and makes a difference on hills and also changes the belt number.

dlh169north

36 degree driven clutch. Probably 10-12 degree hill. At rest, the drive clutch is probably 1/4 inch wider than the belt.

dlh169north

Before I replaced the clutch, it had a hard time climbing hills but sometimes at low speed while using a spreader on the back it would loose torque.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
So did anybody check the clutch shifting in neutral? a new drive belt will have very little room between it and clutch faces. if the belt is to narrow or two long it will start to grab 2 high in the drive clutch and you will lose torque:twocents:
Can you post a picture of the belt belt deflection

1563742442767.png

dlh169north

I left the cart up in the country property yesterday. After it left me having to walk back to the shed in 97* Missouri heat, I finally got it parked again, gave it the finger and headed for home

dlh169north

O.K. yesterday I checked the operation of the belt in neutral and it seems to be doing everything as it is supposed to-----the driven clutch widens and the drive clutch narrows. So I checked the belt tightness. It is sloppy loose,, the belt can touch top to bottom between the clutches. Next step, new belt! Next time I'll check the belt before I start buying new parts.

Roger Shepard

Hello all, my cart has had a motor swap, So the belt adjustment is wrong. At idle it wants to creep away and you cant change from forward to reverse or visa versa. I have to shut it off, change direction and restart.. I have to change something so it will set relaxed at idle... Is there a video or printed instructions on how to tighten/adjust the main drive belt? Beings my motor idles, does belt tightness need to change, Thanks