Wiring Starter Generator

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
It’s Going to tell you the generator is good and that you have a regulator problem, what you’re doing is exciting the generator like the regulator is supposed to do, the regulator controls the output of the generator by regulating the DF input, you are going to give it full output That’s why you just wanna touch it quickly

turbo130

Okay, thank you for your input, I live quite a distance from the closest city where I can get to a parts house. I have plenty of jumper wires but not a 1/2 amp fuse and I don't want to fry anything.

Diode

I said use a fuse so you don’t blame me I never did just don’t hold it on there no more than one second or so you can read the meter

turbo130

Okay I will just touch it quickly like you said, thanks for the update. I forgot do I put my multimeter on the battery or on the starter generator power lead?

Diode

I would start at the output of the generator, once confirmed there I would move to the battery, make sure the generator is turning at a decent RPM or it may not put out.

turbo130

My bad I just looked at your response for checking to see if it is charging, I will try that when I have more time.

turbo130

Check your connections make sure it’s connected like in the schematic above take a jumper wire with a half amp fuse and jump from the DF to the battery positive just touching it quickly with your meter hooked up to the output f2 and A1 You should see a spike in the output
The generator must be turning at a reasonable speed
I did what you said but the battery is still not charging, I get just over 10 volts when it is starting and 12.20 volts when it starts running and when I rev it up I get 12.54 volts. Does this mean that my new starter generator is bad and I need to send it back for a replacement one? Oh I guess I should of said at first that there is no change in voltage when I jump it from DF to battery positive.

Diode

Do you have another battery you can stick in there for testing maybe out of one of your cars

turbo130

After I charged the battery I have around 12.80 volts, when I start it drops to just over 10 volts and as I rev it up it will climb back up to12.20 volts when I rev it up to high speed I will get around 12.54 volts.

Diode

Dropping to 10 V while starting Is pretty low Either it’s not big enough or it’s got a bad cell

turbo130

The battery is not that old, the battery that it replaced was not that old either. I think it is under warranty I will get a replacement next time I go to town. Years ago I had a Opel GT that was not charging until I replaced the battery maybe I have the same problem will my cart?

Diode

That battery should not drop to 10 V when starting so either it’s too small or it’s got a bad cell

turbo130

The battery I have in it is a group 26, I had to go into town today to get some ordered parts for my daughter in laws jeep. I had the battery checked and it is ok, when I checked out the starter generator the other day I had my meter leads hooked up to it I think that is why it read just over 10 volts when I started the cart. It has 12.54 volts when I started it and I tried your method again on the starter generator and still no change in voltage when I rev it up.

Diode

Exactly what terminals are you clipping the meter to and disconnect the regulator and try again just the DF line to regulator also tried grounding it quickly

Diode

Then you’ve got some bad connections someplace no way should the voltage drop to 10 volts on starting