Wiring Starter Generator

turbo130

I have a 1999 E-Z-GO TXT that I put an aftermarket engine in. If I connect the wire coming off the engine to the D side of the solenoid will that signal the starter to begin being a generator?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
So your still running the ezgo voltage regulator yes? not sure what wire from the engine your talking about, the stator wire?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
The starter/generator begins to charge with rpm's and does not need to be told to do so.

turbo130

Ok, my generator is not charging, I do have the ezgo voltage regulator. Do you know how I can check to see if my starter generator is working, I have to charge my battery every few days.

turbo130

I have a hot wire coming off the engine right now I use it for a kill switch also it can be used for a tachometer.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Is it setup to pedal start like the factory engine or are ya using a key switch?

turbo130

It has the pedal start just like the factory. Everything is the same except for the engine, and the old engine plug in.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
I would check the battery voltage with a digital voltmeter, then start it and see if its charging at all.

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
Sounds like the wire from the engine is a shut off, if it is then i would wire a kill switch of some kind. If the throttle ever sticks open you'll be goin' for a ride.

turbo130

I have it wired for a kill switch I will put it on jack stands and check the voltage on the battery and then after I start it like you suggested.

turbo130

I have been away for a week just got back and checked the voltage off the battery to see if it will charge. It is not charging so I guess I will need to purchase a new starter generator. I have seen quite a few on line with prices all over the map does anyone have a recommendation on where to purchase one?

turbo130

I purchased a new starter generator and installed it however I'm still not charging, could I possibly need a new starter solenoid?

Nubs

Cartaholic - V.I.P.
ezgo_txtgaswiring.jpg

Diode

Cartaholic - V.I.P. Sponsor
Check your connections make sure it’s connected like in the schematic above take a jumper wire with a half amp fuse and jump from the DF to the battery positive just touching it quickly with your meter hooked up to the output f2 and A1 You should see a spike in the output
The generator must be turning at a reasonable speed

turbo130

I have the solenoid and voltage regulator, I replaced the solenoid last year when it wouldn't start. I will try the check tomorrow, I got home too late today to check it out. thank you for your help .

turbo130

I have to pick up a part for my daughter in laws Jeep I am fixing for her, at that time I will make myself a jumper cable with a 1/2 amp fuse . After I do this if there is a jump in the output what will this tell me?